Dialup on Saturn!

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
NekoCahlan

Dialup on Saturn!

Post by NekoCahlan »

So I have an analog land line at my house which is perfect. Don't have dial up, only DSL for internet. I found www.freedialup.org and tried it and guess what? It worked! I was browsing google.com and nytimes in the Saturns PlanetWeb browser. The formatting was all broke, but it was legible!

Now to get it working on my dreamcast...
I have all of the Netlink games.
JerryTerrifying

Re: Dialup on Saturn!

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Sounds pretty awesome dude. I'll try to give this a shot and see if I can't get it working for myself. Actual webbrowsing is the only thing I haven't done with my Saturn yet.
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Um... "dial-up" (internet service) isn't something you have so much as a service you connect to. You just happened to use a free service instead of a paid one.

With some internet routing work, I've used one of my computers as a dial-up internet service provider, just by routing the Saturn's requests through our DSL connection. Granted, I was mostly just following a guide to do the same thing with the Dreamcast - I just had to make a few minor changes to make it work with my Saturn.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
NekoCahlan

Post by NekoCahlan »

Warp2063 wrote:With some internet routing work, I've used one of my computers as a dial-up internet service provider, just by routing the Saturn's requests through our DSL connection. Granted, I was mostly just following a guide to do the same thing with the Dreamcast - I just had to make a few minor changes to make it work with my Saturn.

Can you show me how? Id love to set that up for my Dreamcast and Saturn. Did you follow this guide?

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/guides/p ... uide-win7/

I'm trying to do it from inside Windows 8.1, but I can dual boot if needed.
I have all of the Netlink games.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

No. I used an older Windows 98 guide. Neat that they've finally updated it for modern operating systems.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

It's really fun, isn't it?

We've spent a lot of time browsing in the Saturn. The missing thing still today is the ability to send an email. We can receive, alright, but sending is hard due to new smtp servers only working with secure browsers today.
I whish we could setup a smtp server that don't need https... =/
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Rogue wrote:It's really fun, isn't it?

We've spent a lot of time browsing in the Saturn. The missing thing still today is the ability to send an email. We can receive, alright, but sending is hard due to new smtp servers only working with secure browsers today.
I whish we could setup a smtp server that don't need https... =/
You can- but you'll need to roll your own SMTP server. The NetLink doesn't even appear to use authentication when it sends an email. Setup Postfix on Linux. If you're on Windows, use hMailServer, which is another free application. The best use for this is to backup your save games.

I've recently purchased a line simulator and use a raspberrypi as a dial-in server with usb modem. Works awesome. In fact, if you like GameFaqs, the site works well and you can log in there (even post messages). I've been looking for web sites that display only text- textise.net is one of them, but the NetLink doesn't handle javascript well enough to be able to follow "textised" links, unfortunately, which is a killer. Anyone know of any similar sites?
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Xranger60 wrote:You can- but you'll need to roll your own SMTP server. The NetLink doesn't even appear to use authentication when it sends an email. Setup Postfix on Linux. If you're on Windows, use hMailServer, which is another free application. The best use for this is to backup your save games.

I've recently purchased a line simulator and use a raspberrypi as a dial-in server with usb modem. Works awesome. In fact, if you like GameFaqs, the site works well and you can log in there (even post messages). I've been looking for web sites that display only text- textise.net is one of them, but the NetLink doesn't handle javascript well enough to be able to follow "textised" links, unfortunately, which is a killer. Anyone know of any similar sites?
I don't know about an alternate service like that, but I'm loving the idea of using a Raspberry Pi and game saves! Thanks!
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Warp2063 wrote:
Xranger60 wrote:You can- but you'll need to roll your own SMTP server. The NetLink doesn't even appear to use authentication when it sends an email. Setup Postfix on Linux. If you're on Windows, use hMailServer, which is another free application. The best use for this is to backup your save games.

I don't know about an alternate service like that, but I'm loving the idea of using a Raspberry Pi and game saves! Thanks!
No problem! In fact, the game saves motivated me to go through the trouble. This is the modem I use. Linux has included a standard driver for it for some time.

Years back, somebody ported Links browser to the PSP. It has a lightweight graphical mode that displays web layouts surprisingly well and includes the option to disable images. That browser would be perfect for the Saturn.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Xranger60, do you use a telsim to connect to your Raspi? What software/guides did you use to get everything running? I don't own a Raspberry Pi myself, yet, but I do run a Linux machine which I'd like to experiment on for the time being. I assume you're using more than just Postfix.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Warp2063 wrote:Xranger60, do you use a telsim to connect to your Raspi? What software/guides did you use to get everything running? I don't own a Raspberry Pi myself, yet, but I do run a Linux machine which I'd like to experiment on for the time being. I assume you're using more than just Postfix.
I use a Teltone TLS3. It's an old model, manufacture date 1987, purchased for $40 on eBay. As for the guide I used, I believe I used this one, but any general linux dial-up server guide should do.

For mail, I use stunnel as the encrypted intermediary between the Saturn and Gmail. You can also run a stunnel server on the Pi. For SMTP, I briefly used "hMailServer" on Windows.