Resident Evil

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Xranger60
Site Admin

Resident Evil

Post by Xranger60 »

Hey all, I'm a huge fan of Resident Evil. I have played and beaten the Director's Cut, 2, 3, REmake and Zero. I own RE:CV for Dreamcast, which I will eventually play/beat, and Outbreak for PS2, and will buy Outbreak File #2. I'm considering buying RE for Saturn.

Anybody own/played the Saturn version? What are your impressions? I have heard the unlockable costumes are different and that there are TWO Tyrants at the end.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Adam3k3

Post by Adam3k3 »

The game plays great and there are extra outfit, as for 2 bosses that’s not true. You fight him two times if you make some things in the game witch can be done in PSX version. Over all it’s the best RE 1 port.
Cidus

Post by Cidus »

I really couldn't tell that much difference between this and the PSX game. I'm not sure, but is this the only version with the battle-mode??
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Truth be told, there isn't too much difference between the two. There are different unlockable costumes though. You're right, the battle game is only to be found on the Saturn version. Just gives me another excuse to play through Resident Evil :).
Cidus

Re: Resident Evil

Post by Cidus »

Xranger60 wrote:Hey all, I'm a huge fan of Resident Evil. I have played and beaten the Director's Cut, 2, 3, REmake and Zero. I own RE:CV for Dreamcast, which I will eventually play/beat, and Outbreak for PS2, and will buy Outbreak File #2. I'm considering buying RE for Saturn.

Anybody own/played the Saturn version? What are your impressions? I have heard the unlockable costumes are different and that there are TWO Tyrants at the end.
Just wondering if you've got a favorite out of the bunch? The first RE still creeps me out as its the only one I've actually run out of ammo in. But, I gotta admit that Nemesis in 3 scared the crap out of me the first time through.

You know, just thinking about it...I know a lot of people that have said Resident Evils are pretty much the same, but if you really look at it; every game has at least a few original points about it. Whether it's being chased in 3, the 2 character dynamic of Zero, the more stay on your toes action pace of 4 (still plenty creepy though), or the sheer amount of plot development in Code Veronica. I honestly can't say, if you've played one you've played them all because I don't think anyone that's played through them could ever mistake 2 for 3, or Remake for Zero.

Wow, that was longer than I thought...heh :P
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Hmm, a favorite would be really hard to pick out. I definitely like number one, it's great, and everyone who wants to get into the series should start with it, still widely available for PSX. The Gamecube one is a must too, very well done remake, with stunning graphics, and vastly changed from the original while keeping the basics the same, so it's worth it to play the original and the Gamecube REmake.

2 was another favorite of mine, just pure greatness. It really expanded well on the first, and the backgrounds and graphics received a serious upgrade. Much of the RE storyline revolves around the events of 2. A must have.

3 had it's strengths, a different feel from 2, but you get to backtrack through some of 2's environments, which is cool for someone who has played through 2. Generally not as well liked, but still great. The nemesis is one scary you know what.

Zero is a game that not many RE fans seem to like as much. I really liked it though, the graphics are a little better than the REmake, and are stunning to look at. You can just see how much detail is in the backgrounds. Sort of not necessary to the story but interesting to see what happened before the events of RE 1.

Code Veronica I haven't got the chance to play through, but I want to soon. Got into it for a bit but stopped.

4 is another one I want to play through, I really want to go through this one because it's a big departure from the rest of the series and received nothing but rave reviews. I'm going to miss the old gameplay style though.

Has anyone played either one of the Outbreaks for PS2?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Well, I don't have Resident Evil, but here a comparison: =D
with screenshots, etc...

http://www.stevemv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12

and here other comparisons:

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/SATPScompare.htm
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Thanks for the comparison links. I've just uploaded some Resident Evil: Saturn screenshots. The graphics differences between the PSX and Saturn versions are negligible.