Sega netlink in Russia

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Rainbow-dead

Sega netlink in Russia

Post by Rainbow-dead »

Hi guys!I have questions: can i connect with sega netlink in Russia. And if i can, how can i find free dial-up internet in Russia nowadays? If you are russia,please, write me private massage on russian.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: Sega netlink in Russia

Post by Warp2063 »

If you want to play the NetLink games, you do not need a dial-up ISP. You will need an analog (POTS) phone line and the telephone number of the opponent you wish to play with. Unfortunately, fewer and fewer companies offer analog phone service, and it is usually more expensive than digital phone service. Digital phone service usually causes severe lag and disconnects for NetLink games. I do not know what the worldwide status is for digital versus analog phone service. Analog phone service is becoming rare in the United States.

If you plan to use the NetLink to view websites, you will need a dial-up ISP. With the right setup, you can host your own. http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/guides/p ... uide-win7/ You will also need the PlanetWeb Web Browser software.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Like already pointed, you need to know about your local phone service.

How is the phone of your house? Do you know how it works? You can ask your parents if you don't know.

If you live in a modern house or apartment, chances are that you don't have a telephone line.

If you don't know, can you tell how is it charged? How do you pay for the telephone of your house? If you have a different bill for telephone and internet, maybe you are lucky!

If you only have that thick coaxial cable that goes inside some set-top-box and then it goes to TV, internet and telephone, it''s impossible.

I'm sorry if I sounded like you are a teenager, but you made some very simple questions. Let's see if someone from russia can help.

Remember:
Free ISP: browse the web in a very old browser. (HTML 2.0)
Telephone: play the 5 games (works like a fax machine)
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Rainbow-dead

Post by Rainbow-dead »

Thanks guys. But i have next questin: Can i connect with method like PC-DC, but on Saturn?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Rainbow-dead wrote:Thanks guys. But i have next questin: Can i connect with method like PC-DC, but on Saturn?
Only for the web browser. The games do not use an ISP. The games directly dial your opponent.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Rainbow-dead

Post by Rainbow-dead »

Thanks! I have the last question: What cost dialing with opponent for Russia?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

The only cost is the cost of the phone call. There's no cost for playing the game. If your phone company charges twenty cents for you to call a friend for a 20-minute phone call, then it will cost twenty cents for a 20-minute game over the phone line.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Calls are really that cheap in USA? 20 cents for 20 minutes?
It should be something like 10 bucks for minute.
Well, anything is overpriced here anyway...
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Rogue wrote:Calls are really that cheap in USA? 20 cents for 20 minutes?
It should be something like 10 bucks for minute.
Well, anything is overpriced here anyway...
I made up some numbers as an example. I didn't make very many long-distance NetLink calls, but a few minutes usually added up to dollars, if I remember correctly.
Rainbow-dead

Post by Rainbow-dead »

May I use Netlink modem with NTSC/J Sega saturn?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Rainbow-dead wrote:May I use Netlink modem with NTSC/J Sega saturn?
It will physically fit in the slot - I don't believe there's any type of region locking on Saturn peripherals. However, peripherals will only activate if there's software designed to use them. I have a Japanese MPEG decoder card in my NTSC/U Saturn, but it only works if I convince the system that it is also NTSC/J. If you can run NTSC/U games on your NTSC/J Saturn, then the NetLink modem should be recognized and work.
Rainbow-dead

Post by Rainbow-dead »

Warp2063 wrote:
It will physically fit in the slot - I don't believe there's any type of region locking on Saturn peripherals. However, peripherals will only activate if there's software designed to use them. I have a Japanese MPEG decoder card in my NTSC/U Saturn, but it only works if I convince the system that it is also NTSC/J. If you can run NTSC/U games on your NTSC/J Saturn, then the NetLink modem should be recognized and work.
Ok, may it work on NTSC/J saturn with modchip?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Rainbow-dead wrote:
Warp2063 wrote:
Ok, may it work on NTSC/J saturn with modchip?
A modchip does not change the region code of your game system.
Rainbow-dead

Post by Rainbow-dead »

But can i use american Netlink modem with NTSC/J consol?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Rainbow-dead wrote:But can i use american Netlink modem with NTSC/J consol?
Yes, if you can run compatible NTSC/U software, such as the Planetweb Browser or the five NTSC/U NetLink games.