We just got the real Xband modem to connect...

Former Xbanders on SNES or Genesis can get in touch with each other here. Also for people who wish to help with the Xband revival project.
Xiden

Re: We just got the real Xband modem to connect...

Post by Xiden »

rush6432 wrote:
BrAlZy wrote:Very interesting. Looks like the use of a true land-line phone on the first generation XBAND modems is no longer required. Now all we need is a server so matches can be made, correct? Obviously that's easier said than done, however I would say the fact that the XBAND modem has been faked out into making a connection is the biggest step of progress since the original service shutdown.
Just to clear this up, yes true landlines might still be needed. The system was designed to use them to begin with. we MIGHT get away with putting the xband server on voip potentially, but for modem to modem game matches, you'll probably have to have a real land line to keep the latency down.
I'm still experimenting with perfecting a VOIP solution. We've reduced connection issues quite a bit with NetLink over VOIP since we first started. I'd like to know if other VOIP solutions like Google voice work. Or if its possible to write our own "landline simulator" software similar to dreampi. That would be ideal at least. Traditional landlines are super expensive now where I live and most companies only offer voip solutions now :(
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

i wouldn't bother buying games yet. No telling when the server software will be up and running tbh. As for game patches.. I'm not going to spoil and say what exists.

Best advice i can give you, don't hold your breath on the server just yet. Its a large undertaking and takes time and i don't know how long it'll take.
Last edited by rush6432 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xiden

Post by Xiden »

Well at the very least I'd like to see them get Saturn Japanese games back up with their sever software too as it appears to be exactly the same as genesis and snes. Its not likely those games need patches as they are elusive xband games only. Found it interesting the Xband Virtua Fighter I have for saturn cant be played without a xband modem installed lol.