WHY NOT JUST RE-CREATE THE XBAND SERVER?!?

Former Xbanders on SNES or Genesis can get in touch with each other here. Also for people who wish to help with the Xband revival project.
*heresy*

WHY NOT JUST RE-CREATE THE XBAND SERVER?!?

Post by *heresy* »

OK THIS IS MY IDEA....

GET AHOLD OF FORMER XBAND EMPLOYEES AND FIND SOMEONE WHO KNEW EXACTLY HOW THE SERVER WORKED ( LIKE THEY KNEW THE IP ADDRESS....WHATEVER) AND WHY NOT JUST DUPLICATE THE SERVER?!/

WITH THE EXACT SAME SETUP SOMEWHERE, THEN ANYONE WITH AN XBAND COULD JUST DIAL UP TO THE SERVER, IT WOULD BE THE SAME OLD NUMBERS OR WHATEVER....

I DONT SEE WHY THIS WOULDNT WORK
**former xbander...
**now has saturn and netlink...
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

Its a fantastic theory and of course it could also work "in theory" but tracking down the right people would be difficult not to mention the fact they probably have no information left reguarding the project and probably would not be willing to spend any of their time helping out an extremelly small number of people. This has been seen before on the Dreamcast online scene, which although small, is still much larger than that of saturn netlink...sadly its just too much time an effort for those in the know :(

It sadly just isnt that simple :(

Cheers, Craig
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

The problem is ive already contacted all the xband previous employees and they dont own the rights to the server side, someone else does. they employees all chipped in and bought the rights to the client side (the actualy software thats on the modem itself.) thats why the server hasn't been replicated....
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

This is where Neviksti (the person that was running the project) came in. He told me he had already reverse engineered a test Server. He just needed to test it. Neviksti then dissapeared :(.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Well even if we could find someone who knows how to bring the servers back we would need a normal server that would be up all the time. Also the old IP may not be available and redirecting the consoles would only be possible by installing a homebrew program on it. Then you need to find people who would program this homebrew. I only know the very basics of programming so we really need someone who knows how to program things for SNES etc.

It could be possible but we would need much time... sadly...
HOLY SMOKIN' JESUS TITTY CINNAMON!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Isaac [GER] wrote:Well even if we could find someone who knows how to bring the servers back we would need a normal server that would be up all the time. Also the old IP may not be available and redirecting the consoles would only be possible by installing a homebrew program on it. Then you need to find people who would program this homebrew. I only know the very basics of programming so we really need someone who knows how to program things for SNES etc.

It could be possible but we would need much time... sadly...
I have some theories about how to get around a lot of those problems, but I don't particularly want to discuss them yet.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
DELETED

Cena

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

I dont really get your point thomas. I think its would be a pain in the ass reprogramming (emulating or recreating) the old servers. Also we would need some specific servers etc. If we do this it´ll be a fucking pain in our asses.
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Mytho

Post by Mytho »

That topic hasn't seen a post in almost 4 years. This project seems pretty grounded for the time being.

I also wouldn't bother with thomas.cena. Looks like a bot to me.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Isaac [GER] wrote:Hey take a look at this:

http://www.aep-emu.de/PNphpBB2-file-vie ... -1593.html
I was working with Nevitski on this project this year. We still didn't make much progress. There's some stuff I need to do before I can test my idea, though.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Like what? Do you need hardware? Any licences? (s or c)
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Mytho wrote:I also wouldn't bother with thomas.cena. Looks like a bot to me.
Who's that? ;)
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Like what? Do you need hardware? Any licences? (s or c)
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I need at least one telephone line simulator (or a second phone line). After that, I need to write a program to test my idea. If everything works out as I hope it will, I'll eventually need more equipment to develop my idea further... but for the original test, I need that phone line simulator.

The thing that's held me back is cost or lack of knowledge. Telephone line simulators aren't cheap. I don't want to dump $100-200 on one if I don't have to. On the other hand, I've designed part of a telephone line simulator myself, which would cost maybe $30 to build, and I could do the building myself. The problem is, I don't have the electronics engineering knowledge I need to make sure it actually powers on and doesn't fry itself or other equipment while running. I don't know how to do the calculations to figure out the right values for the parts I need. I have a few friends who DO know how to do those calculations and how to help me finish the design, but I'm hesitant to ask them to do a homework project for me.

So... that's what's holding me back.