Added functionallity

Former Xbanders on SNES or Genesis can get in touch with each other here. Also for people who wish to help with the Xband revival project.
Overwatch

Added functionallity

Post by Overwatch »

If X-Band is ever recreated, is it possible to add more games avalible to play through X-Band?
neviksti

Post by neviksti »

Yes it is possible, but we are a long ways off from that point at the moment.
Overwatch

Post by Overwatch »

How far is progress in a percentage form?
neviksti

Post by neviksti »

That is very difficult to answer in a reverse engineering project. Unlike making a program, where you know where you are headed, and can make rough predictions of the time to completion ... when you are reverse engineering it is not always clear what lies ahead.

That being said, I would say the first immediate goal is to allow people to play games against each other. And even more immediate, get people that already have the game patches to be able to play.

From comments made by the programmers and designers themselves, it looks like we just need to:
1) get the XBand to dial into our "fake server" (this can already be done two ways: have someone with a copier rewrite the SRAM, or use the hidden built in hex-editor to change the phone number)
2) understand the server <-> XBand communication enough to send the "hang up and dial opponent" command
3) write the fake server program

I've already written a simple modem program containing most of the packet protocal that we've learned so far. So once we figure out the rest, actually finishing writing the program should be easy (although if it doesn't work first try, debugging may be difficult since we have nothing to compare it to).

Right now we understand the server <-> XBand communication well enough now that I'd say well over half of the work is done. Who knows, maybe I'd call it 75% of the work has been done. But I have very little time to work on wading through the disassembled code lately... so how long will that last 25% take? I don't know for sure.

People are helping contact former XBand employees and wading through some code. This could speed things up.

How many people actually have phone lines and an SNES+XBand to help test this?
Overwatch

Post by Overwatch »

Is it possible for 32x games to be played over X-Band?
Overwatch

Post by Overwatch »

Could we ever use the Mega-Net Modem or the Sega Mega Modem?
http://www.sega-16.com/Genesis%20Access ... de%202.php
This websites pretty interesting.
DELETED

Cena09

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
DELETED

jeff0

Post by DELETED »

DELETED