SNES Xband modem, hidden games?

Former Xbanders on SNES or Genesis can get in touch with each other here. Also for people who wish to help with the Xband revival project.
JerryTerrifying

SNES Xband modem, hidden games?

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I've read that the Genesis Xband modem had some hiddne mini games on it and was wondering if the SNES one had any hidden games?
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I wasn't aware of hidden minigames on either one. I know that there were some hidden modes in the SNES one, but I don't know of any games.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

Well I was looking through the Ditial Press collectors guide and it says the Genesis one has two hidden games...Fish Pong and something else I believe. Oh screw it I'll finishing typing this sentence and go grab the book and tell you the codes!

Fish Pong - Go to the main menu and press up four times, right, B.

Maze - Go to the call-up screen and press up, up, down. You can also press down, down, left, left, right, C at the main menu for a larger maze.

Is there any where you'd suggest checking on the internet to see if there's any hidden games on the SNES? I'm going to see if theres any FAQs on Gamefaqs but I figured I'd ask here since this is the largest collection of Xband users I know. :D Also if you've got the Genesis Xband try those codes out and let me know if they work. The codes in the Digital Press Collectors guide have been wrong before. There's at least one that's a popular myth that's in there.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Well, the Fish Pong and Large Maze codes definitely work for me. However, I have no idea what it means by "call-up screen", as you can't pick a phone number to dial with the X-Band. It will only dial the X-Band service, which no longer exists. There's no call-up screen that you can get to.

The X-Band looks very funny sticking out of my CDX with Sonic 3 on top. The stack is taller than my system is long! =P

Also, I'd never noticed this before: the LEDs on the front of the Genesis X-Band do various different things depending on what menu you're on!
-At the title screen, they pulsate out and in from the center.
-At the user select screen, they're all on, but they flicker a little.
-At the selection screen, they dance to the music.
-At the player select screen, they pulsate like at the title screen, but less frequently.
-At the mailbox screen, there's a kind of double pulsate... there are two "centers" and both pulsate outward in unison.
-At the X-Mail screen, it pulsates like it does at the player select screen.
-The stats screen acts like the mailbox screen.
-The options screen acts like a bouncing ball... the LED "drops" from the top and bounces back up lower and lower until it stops, then it repeats.

Without a phone line attached, I tried to dial up X-Band... at the bottom of the screen, it said, "Try chatting after the game (Up Up Down)". Maybe that's the Up Up Down your guide referred to?
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

Well it was just a little blurb and I pretty much typed everything that was there. So I have no clue.

Maybe someday I'll find a Genesis Xband modem on ebay for a few bucks. I wanted to know if the SNES one had mini games too because I'm going to make a video for my youtube page showing off its menus and crap and thought it'd be about a million times more interesting if there was some hidden Fish Pong to play. :D

When I fire it up again I'll see if its LEDs do anything special...I didn't notice anything but I wasn't looking.

Also I'd love to see a picture of that ridiculous set up. :P
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:Well it was just a little blurb and I pretty much typed everything that was there. So I have no clue.

Maybe someday I'll find a Genesis Xband modem on ebay for a few bucks. I wanted to know if the SNES one had mini games too because I'm going to make a video for my youtube page showing off its menus and crap and thought it'd be about a million times more interesting if there was some hidden Fish Pong to play. :D

When I fire it up again I'll see if its LEDs do anything special...I didn't notice anything but I wasn't looking.

Also I'd love to see a picture of that ridiculous set up. :P
I bought both my Genesis and SNES X-BANDs off of Amazon. Both were pretty cheap.

I just fired my SNES one up... it only has 3 LEDs instead of the Genesis' 7. They don't do anything interesting... one seems to indicate that it's on, another seems to indicate that it's trying to use the modem, and I'm guessing the third, which I've never seen lit, indicates a connection.

If you think my CDX tower sounds bad, you should see what I had to do with my SNES! For whatever reason, my SNES was acting flakey and wouldn't turn on, so I had to use my original model Super Famicom... which I then plugged a region changer cartridge into... which I then plugged the X-BAND into... which I then plugged a copy of F-Zero into. THAT was a dangerous stack. But then, I guess it wasn't as intense as the Penny Arcade one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thisdude62/908235443/

Quoted from the comments on that pic: "The Tower of Genesis is an ungodly construct. The Lord will surely strike it down just like the other Tower of Genesis, also known as the Tower of Babel."
Last edited by Warp2063 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryTerrifying

I'm surprised Saurons all seeing eye isn't burning atop that mighty tower. :D I've seen that a few times. There's a simmilar N64 one I believe with the DD and some other crap jammed into its cart slot.
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

LOL ^^ Looks kinda weird but still cool xD Hoperfully it doesnt damage the cartridges or the 32x, Mega Drive Converter and the poor Game Genie ^^
HOLY SMOKIN' JESUS TITTY CINNAMON!
JerryTerrifying

Geez I wonder what would happen if someone did turn that thing on. It'd probably open a gateway to hell or something.
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Ok, I think I might try this ;D (seriously)
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:Geez I wonder what would happen if someone did turn that thing on. It'd probably open a gateway to hell or something.
I'm pretty sure the cleaning cartridge in the middle would put a stop to it, even if the compatibility issues of having a Power Base converter plugged into a 32X didn't. I mean, c'mon! The GENESIS cleaning cartridge is jammed into a Master System cartridge slot. =P I've never owned anything Master System, but I'd imagine that it's not good to jam Genesis stuff into it.
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Well, lets see... *builds a tower* OMFG Wheres my Cleanup Cartridge and my Power Base converter?! *SUPER ANGRY FACE* (Dont worry my Genesis still works.)
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Were you smitten? Or did any evil portals open?
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Well, at first nothing happened. But theres a GHOST GENESIS swimming in my toilet now! Everytime Im taking a dump now it says: OMFG NOOO PLZ DONT!!!. I think it doesnt like me shitting on it xD
JerryTerrifying

Hahaha this topics gone to a real bad place.