SNES Xband modem, hidden games?

Former Xbanders on SNES or Genesis can get in touch with each other here. Also for people who wish to help with the Xband revival project.
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Jup xD Guess we should make a HOW TO BREAK YOUR GENESIS thread ^^
HOLY SMOKIN' JESUS TITTY CINNAMON!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Pics!

Funny how you don't notice the dust until you get a high-powered flash on something.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Haha you're right that CDX does look silly. :D

And I am way jealous of the Japanese and European SNES's. Why did the American one have to be so fugly.
Game collection on my site.
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

God damn it where´s my damn camera? I need to take a picture of my Genesis Tower xD

PS: Does the Xband Modem still work?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Isaac [GER] wrote:PS: Does the Xband Modem still work?
Electronically, they work fine. Both of mine still boot up and dial, just as they should, and I've replaced the SRAM batteries in both so that they store user data again. However, the service was discontinued sometime around when the Saturn came out, so it's not currently possible to use them to link to anyone else. The X-BAND would dial up the service, deduct a credit from your account, and then match you with another player. Your modem (or theirs) would then dial up the other player, without either of you ever seeing the other's phone number. The service would also provide patches for the games to make them playable over the X-BAND, and you could send X-Mails to other players and read gaming news through it.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Xband411

Post by Xband411 »

Warp2063 wrote: Your modem (or theirs) would then dial up the other player, without either of you ever seeing the other's phone number.
You wouldn't see the number, but you would hear the number being dialed. A lot of people would use a VCR to record the dialing, and then use hacked voicemail pager accounts to transcribe the sounds to actual numbers. :wink:

For the known spammers or pullers, we'd then proceed to bombard their houses with collect calls day and night for a week in order to keep them from using the service. What dumb kids we were back in the day.
Xband411

Post by Xband411 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:Well it was just a little blurb and I pretty much typed everything that was there. So I have no clue.

Maybe someday I'll find a Genesis Xband modem on ebay for a few bucks. I wanted to know if the SNES one had mini games too because I'm going to make a video for my youtube page showing off its menus and crap and thought it'd be about a million times more interesting if there was some hidden Fish Pong to play. :D

When I fire it up again I'll see if its LEDs do anything special...I didn't notice anything but I wasn't looking.

Also I'd love to see a picture of that ridiculous set up. :P
I've got menu videos up of my SNES Xband if you'd care to see them:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xband411

The SNES didn't have fish pong, but it does have the maze game. Later this week, I'll work on getting those up on YouTube also.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

If people desire it, I can upload more Genesis Xband videos, too. Especially of the maze game, fish pong, and the lights on the front of the Xband.
JerryTerrifying

I've got the SNES modem too and have seen all the menus. How do you play the mini game on the SNES Xband? And yeah go ahead and upload some video of the Genesis X band and the mini games.
Xband411

Post by Xband411 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:I've got the SNES modem too and have seen all the menus. How do you play the mini game on the SNES Xband? And yeah go ahead and upload some video of the Genesis X band and the mini games.
Press Down twice, Left twice, Right, B at the main menu
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Yeah, if people want to see more videos, I can make them within the next few days.

My Christmas shopping is just about done, so I don't have to fret about not having time quite as much.
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Videos would be awesome ;D
Xband411

Post by Xband411 »

I still have a VHS tape with SNES Xband gameplay footage (SMK) on it that I'm hoping to get up over the next 2 months too.
JerryTerrifying

The more videos the better. People should know about these interesting little tib bits of computer history.
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Damn... Xband was so awesome ;D I would really like to travel back in time xD