How xband works....

Former Xbanders on SNES or Genesis can get in touch with each other here. Also for people who wish to help with the Xband revival project.
Undertaker_COTN

Post by Undertaker_COTN »

segasaturndude wrote:for all we know it could cost thousands if not millions to buy things like this. we need to be careful
It would not cost millions to buy xband. xband is dead and no one but xbanders want to bring it back so it's value will be low. The only value is the technology which if i understand correctly is still used today. What's to be careful about??

What I want to know is who exactly owns the rights on both server and/or client side.
The Death Bell Has Tolled And Your Soul Is Mine... Rest...In...Peace...
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Undertaker_COTN wrote:
segasaturndude wrote:for all we know it could cost thousands if not millions to buy things like this. we need to be careful
It would not cost millions to buy xband. xband is dead and no one but xbanders want to bring it back so it's value will be low. The only value is the technology which if i understand correctly is still used today. What's to be careful about??

What I want to know is who exactly owns the rights on both server and/or client side.
Catapult and it's technology was bought out some time ago by another company, which means some company out there owns the intellectual property and possibly patents. This means money - lots of it. When we were talking to the dev team, they were concerned about giving us portions of the code, due to the fact that another company owned the rights to it at that time. Other parts of the code they were willing to give us, but it would have required a lot of effort on their part to find the files. Some of the computers they didn't have easy access to anymore.

So, a while back, we got portions of the code from them. It was mostly the server stuff they said they couldn't give us. We started to get the feeling we were ticking them off by being so persistent, so we backed off for the time being.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!