Xband 2.0

Former Xbanders on SNES or Genesis can get in touch with each other here. Also for people who wish to help with the Xband revival project.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

segasaturndude wrote:never mind about the computer, someone threw away a windows 98 computer running on an pentium 2 processor. thank you anways for offering :)
Krazystyle83 wrote: 2.0 supports Windows XP SP2 and above. Requires a minimal of 256 megs of ram (512 recommended), and a 500 mhz processor. Also requires .NET 3.5.
If I recall, the very fastest PII processors were only 450MHz. XBAND 2.0 and .Net 3.5 don't support Windows 98. Also, as a PII machine, the chances of it having 256MB of RAM aren't all that good.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Warp2063 wrote:
segasaturndude wrote:never mind about the computer, someone threw away a windows 98 computer running on an pentium 2 processor. thank you anways for offering :)
Krazystyle83 wrote: 2.0 supports Windows XP SP2 and above. Requires a minimal of 256 megs of ram (512 recommended), and a 500 mhz processor. Also requires .NET 3.5.
If I recall, the very fastest PII processors were only 450MHz. XBAND 2.0 and .Net 3.5 don't support Windows 98. Also, as a PII machine, the chances of it having 256MB of RAM aren't all that good.
not to mention you need a minimum of a dsl connection to play. dialup wont work unless properly tweaked but even then, no one really uses dialup anymore.
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

its actully running smoothly and i installed a ethernet adaptor, and it works great, i just installed all the avalable updates for the system, and i love it!, now all i need to buy is 128mb ram. it also has a dvd drive on it. its a gateway. i found out its running at 350mhz.
Welcome to the Real world, Sega Saturn Image
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Post by Krazystyle83 »

I'd be interested in seeing if we can optimize everything to run on that. Apparently 98 supports .net 2.0. So I can backcompile Xband 2 to support 98. However, it would be a one time compile. I would not be updating it much
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

segasaturndude wrote:its actully running smoothly and i installed a ethernet adaptor, and it works great, i just installed all the avalable updates for the system, and i love it!, now all i need to buy is 128mb ram. it also has a dvd drive on it. its a gateway. i found out its running at 350mhz.
you might upgrade to a copy of windows xp and get some ram obviously. the one thing that'll slow down the gameplay and introduce lag and issues will be programs running in the background and other programs using the internet while your trying to play. ive got another desktop pc with slow hardware that im going to test xband2.0 on again when we do another internal beta test soon.

Once we get a few games working and we've thouroughly tested it we'll be able to release EXACT minimum specs it needs to run.
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

i dont think ill be upgrading operating systems anytime soon. i like windows 98 and it has always been my favorite. and i dont believe that xp can be installed on an older computer, i think its only designed for the newer processors
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

segasaturndude wrote:i dont think ill be upgrading operating systems anytime soon. i like windows 98 and it has always been my favorite. and i dont believe that xp can be installed on an older computer, i think its only designed for the newer processors
Actually, I once installed XP on a 200MHz Pentium. It actually ran quite well, as long as I didn't try to install anything else. :P

Windows 98 has a LOT of limitations, though. Limited USB support, for example, and a lot of programs aren't compiled for it anymore. I'd recommend upgrading to at least Windows 2000 - I consider it to be the best of both worlds. You can run a lot of software that requires XP, and it still maintains excellent Windows 98 compatibility.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Warp2063 wrote:
segasaturndude wrote:i dont think ill be upgrading operating systems anytime soon. i like windows 98 and it has always been my favorite. and i dont believe that xp can be installed on an older computer, i think its only designed for the newer processors
Actually, I once installed XP on a 200MHz Pentium. It actually ran quite well, as long as I didn't try to install anything else. :P

Windows 98 has a LOT of limitations, though. Limited USB support, for example, and a lot of programs aren't compiled for it anymore. I'd recommend upgrading to at least Windows 2000 - I consider it to be the best of both worlds. You can run a lot of software that requires XP, and it still maintains excellent Windows 98 compatibility.
If you like 98, and want to upgrade to a slightly newer OS, with none of the advantages of 98, 2000, or XP, then you can do one better and go with Windows ME :lol:.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Xranger60 wrote:
Warp2063 wrote:

If you like 98, and want to upgrade to a slightly newer OS, with none of the advantages of 98, 2000, or XP, then you can do one better and go with Windows ME :lol:.
:lol:
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

ill go with what my uncle said, dont go for windows me or 2000, he said they crashed too much and were unreliable, i trust him as hes a computer techie. windows 98 never failed me so i wont switch for awhile
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

We were joking about ME, but I was serious about 2000. I've never had a problem with it. Just make sure you have all the patches.
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

XP has been the most reliable in my opinion. you just need a toned down version of it to install without all the crap. Windows me is trash as is windows 2000. 98 works but isn't all that compatible with much.
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Post by Krazystyle83 »

Windows 7 has been the most stable and epic operating system i've ever used.
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Post by Krazystyle83 »

Hello again friends. It's time to show just how close this project is to becoming a reality. We truly would never have made it this far, this fast, without all of your support.

I have a video for you all, courtesy of LagunaCloud!
There's been alot of questions, concerns over the ability to do score reporting for Xband 2... I myself was even a skeptic at first. But I know when LagunaCloud told me : It's not going to be a problem. It was no longer a doubt in my mind.

What you are about to see : Is a game of mario kart running in an emulator. You'll also notice a window in the upper left hand corner showing player 1 and 2's scores in a multiplayer game. After the 3rd match is over, the game will disapear leaving you with the match's scoreboard!

Please enjoy the fruits of our free time! And enjoy the special gift we plan to unveil later this week!

Xband will never die,
Krazystyle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFCeISha11U
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!! :twisted: