Xband 2.0

Former Xbanders on SNES or Genesis can get in touch with each other here. Also for people who wish to help with the Xband revival project.
Xband411

Post by Xband411 »

Krazystyle83 wrote:The xmail menu song was one of my favorite on the Genesis version. I love the music because I spent so much time on it. But I feel like we got robbed when I heard the SNES music
I loved the SNES music. I would leave Xband turned on the entire day during the summers and let that music rotate.

Hey, have you had a chance to talk with Neviksti at all? I will make sure to direct him toward this thread if not so he can get an idea of what all is going on.

I'm slowly going through emails I have received over the years. There have been other programmers who wanted to work on Xband related projects, so hopefully they'll help out too.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Yeah, there are some reasons that I really like this project. For one, everyone who has a PC will be able to get in on the action, instead of limiting the fun to those who actually own the Xband device.

The games will be patched according to the way the devs want to patch them, and being that the patches are created from scratch, there's no need to obtain/reverse engineer the old ones. There's also the possibility that new games can be supported, if there's enough demand for it.

I also like that the requirement for having a phone line is eliminated by this solution. Although internet lag is introduced, it is becoming more manageable nowadays with broadband connections widely available.

A solution like this also allows for all the aspects of the service to be brought back, including rankings, Xmail, the newsletters, and player lists. It's sort of our way of being able to connect with the past while keeping it fresh by maintaining newsletters and having new players join in on the fun. There's some opportunity for new things, too, like coming up with rankings for the games (I've forgotten them, but remember a few like "Red lighter" or "Zamboni Driver" in the NHL series).
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Xband411

Post by Xband411 »

I just sent out an email to 92 former SNES xbanders about this project. Getting ready to send one out to some former Genesis xbanders. Hopefully this will help get the word out about the project.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

That's awesome. I'd love for fellow former Xbanders to get involved in this discussion so we can hear their thoughts as well.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Post by Krazystyle83 »

Isaac [GER] wrote:Is the old xband.com domain on sale or is it being used by someone? Does anyone have pictures what the old website was like? What did it look like? Im really curious and I'd love to help sadly, as you all know, Im not good at programming.

PS: Sorry for being away so long!
We do own xband2.com. And it's open for anyone to mess with. Anyone who wants an account, its all set to go with PHP, Mysql, and Apache. Also my box currently has 3 meg upstream. I'm hoping to get 5 meg upstream soon (it's the max I can get at home in my area without getting a t1 line.).

The webservers currently on http://www.xband2.com:8080 .

Progress : The login screen is now black and white unless your over a selection. When you click on an icon it asks if you want to make a new user or recover an old one (i know it wasn't in the original - but we have to add some minor new things). Also saves and load prefrences for the login screen. Up next is the character creation screen. I didn't get very far yesterday because I've been pretty burned out.
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Post by Krazystyle83 »

The other thing I wanted to bring up is I don't want the site too fancy. Or to be a community site. I don't want to detract traffic from here or xband411.
Xband411

Post by Xband411 »

I got bored during my break at work today, so I made this quick teaser video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1UEYIRcBpU
ravendta

Post by ravendta »

thoudx wrote:I just sent out an email to 92 former SNES xbanders about this project. Getting ready to send one out to some former Genesis xbanders. Hopefully this will help get the word out about the project.
I received that email. Wet my pants at the news. Then came running to hear more.

This is absolutely awesome. How will XBv2 be available when it is completed?

I can't wait. I'm gonna be watching this project every day. You guys are AWESOME for doing this!
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Post by Krazystyle83 »

XBv2 will be available as a completely free download, At all of your favorite Xband websites and at xband2.com.
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Wow guys, i'm very impressed. sadly the reason why myself and others put he project to the wayside is that we needed more help.

I have had many a conversation with the original developers and i have more info and source code than i know what to do with right now for xband most is mainly for the genesis version. ive even got a few game patches as well with souce code.. (Super street fighter 2, mortal kombat 2, nhl95 and a beta patch for road rash which was in development and nba jam. if regular nba jam works im sure nba jam TE can be easily done. These source code files do have the hex addresses listed to manipulate the roms and get to certain spots in the rom and eliminate certain features for multiplayer.

Ive also got info on how to turn the xband production modem ito a dev unit to flash new roms to (custom OS or firmware anyone???) included is the debugger custom interface and source code for it as well. this is all genesis btw.

For snes i do have some info on how to hack the number the modem dials to connectto xband with an internal hex editor thats built into the snes xband os.

Ive got loads of info ad done TONS of research and have saved emails as well from the developers about specific topics. i've got probably 60-75 percent of what you need to get it running.

As for the pc side, im open to helping as much as i can. ive got a few assembly games im writting for older game consoles but i can squeeze a project like this in easily :)

What do i ask in return??? name in the credits is all :)

Im also willing to help with coding some stuff if you guys need help.
Last edited by rush6432 on Mon May 27, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

how would we play snes games and genesis games on computer?? do you have to have a special adaptor for the game cartridges to go in?
Welcome to the Real world, Sega Saturn Image
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Emulators. basically a copy of the rom image from the cartridge is run from a program on the pc that emulates the sega genesis or snes hardware.
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Post by Krazystyle83 »

segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

does this mean we will be able to bring xband back for genesis? that would be sick! i would so go buy a genesis and an xband modem if you guys got it running!

rush6432 wrote:Wow guys, i'm very impressed. sadly the reason why myself and others put he project to the wayside is that we needed more help.

I have had many a conversation with the original developers and i have more info and source code than i know what to do with right now for xband most is mainly for the genesis version. ive even got a few game patches as well with souce code.. (Super street fighter 2, mortal kombat 2, nhl95 and a beta patch for road rash which was in development and nba jam. if regular nba jam works im sure nba jam TE can be easily done. These source code files do have the hex addresses listed to manipulate the roms and get to certain spots in the rom and eliminate certain features for multiplayer.

Ive also got info on how to turn the xband production modem ito a dev unit to flash new roms to (custom OS or firmware anyone???) included is the debugger custom interface and source code for it as well. this is all genesis btw.

For snes i do have some info on how to hack the number the modem dials to connectto xband with an internal hex editor thats built into the snes xband os.

Ive got loads of info ad done TONS of research and have saved emails as well from the developers about specific topics. i've got probably 60-75 percent of what you need to get it running.

As for the pc side, im open to helping as much as i can. ive got a few assembly games im writting for older game consoles but i can squeeze a project like this in

What do i ask in return??? name in the credits is all :)

Im also willing to help with coding some stuff if you guys need help.

If you guys need help or the source code and info pm me or email me (jeff.nihlean@gmail.com)
Welcome to the Real world, Sega Saturn Image
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Post by Krazystyle83 »

Yes. We do plan on attempting to resurrect both XBand Modems. We'll talk more about it after xband 2, and the open netlink project complete. Basically the order of Operations :
Xband 2.0
Open Netlink
Combining Research
Plan attack
Own Xband Snes / Genesis