XBAND for the new generation...

Former Xbanders on SNES or Genesis can get in touch with each other here. Also for people who wish to help with the Xband revival project.
mcfoxx

XBAND for the new generation...

Post by mcfoxx »

Hello Guys...

I would first like to say how excited I am that the XBAND dream is still alive. I've had XBAND guilds on multiple games since Catapult closed their doors so many years ago (Phantasy Star Online DC, EQOA PS2, WoW Spinbreaker server, etc). The dedication I've seen so far to this project is epic, to say the least.

I had an idea, if you would be willing to listen. I'm not quite sure exactly how "elite" your skills are as far as coding/programming... but after the XBAND2 is completed, (and after some much deserved R&R)...

I can imagine a future where the XBOX 360 has their XBL, the PS3 has their PSN, and thanks to the wonders of homebrew, an "XBAND Channel" being available on the Nintendo Wii.

Just some wishful thinking at this point :) Thought I'd share...
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

our main goal is to get the xband servers going for the snes and genesis. your idea would have to come much later if possible. i am excited about genesis and snes xband servers coming back online soon
Welcome to the Real world, Sega Saturn Image
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Hey Mcfoxx, thanks for coming back! Right now the main focus of the project is to bring the Xband back, with everything about it that we loved, for the PC. After that, it seems as though attention will turn to the possibility of getting the original Xband hardware working again. That will be a gigantic effort, and will require a lot of time and effort. Although I think it's pretty creative to have a Wii idea!
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Xband411

Re: XBAND for the new generation...

Post by Xband411 »

mcfoxx wrote:Hello Guys...

I would first like to say how excited I am that the XBAND dream is still alive. I've had XBAND guilds on multiple games since Catapult closed their doors so many years ago (Phantasy Star Online DC, EQOA PS2, WoW Spinbreaker server, etc). The dedication I've seen so far to this project is epic, to say the least.

I had an idea, if you would be willing to listen. I'm not quite sure exactly how "elite" your skills are as far as coding/programming... but after the XBAND2 is completed, (and after some much deserved R&R)...

I can imagine a future where the XBOX 360 has their XBL, the PS3 has their PSN, and thanks to the wonders of homebrew, an "XBAND Channel" being available on the Nintendo Wii.

Just some wishful thinking at this point :) Thought I'd share...
I'd like to second your thought and say that the dedication shown to this project has been great. Major props to everyone at Laguna Krazy who is dedicating their time and efforts.

And man oh man, an Xband Channel on the Wii would be amazing in the future!
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

i think it will be more awesome to get the snes and genesis xband runnin, im so in once we get those all figured out. now the new generation will now what the beginning of online gaming was like :)
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I don't think we could have an XBAND Wii Channel. I mean, sure, one could be made, but it would have to be homebrew. None of us own the rights to the XBAND name or software, nor do we have any official capacity to request making a legitimate channel for Nintendo. I'm sure some lawyer would come after us for that.

Personally, I don't see a good reason to pursue a Wii port. I don't think enough people would use it to make it worthwhile to code and maintain.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Xband411

Post by Xband411 »

segasaturndude wrote:our main goal is to get the xband servers going for the snes and genesis. your idea would have to come much later if possible. i am excited about genesis and snes xband servers coming back online soon
The order of operations has been laid out.

Xband 2.0
Open Netlink
Combining Research
Plan attack
Own Xband Snes / Genesis

So now, the main goal at this time is Xband 2.0

Xband servers for the SNES and Genesis are far far far down the road. Possibly a blip on the extreme outer rung of the radar. These guys are donating their time and efforts here, so there's no need to burn them out by demanding too much too soon.
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

im not demanding, im just saying the outer goal after everything would be to restore the servers
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Post by Krazystyle83 »

Hey,
Dreaming is free here! And I will definetly say a jailbroken wii port of Xband 2.0 IS NOT out of the question. My only fear there would be stepping on nintendos toes since they still sell many of those games in the wii store.
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

did you not read what xranger said? it would be risky as we dont own xband rights