X-Band Source code FOUND!!!! (Sega only so far)

Former Xbanders on SNES or Genesis can get in touch with each other here. Also for people who wish to help with the Xband revival project.
sliptanked

Post by sliptanked »

I'm curious as to who owns the rights to Xband now...

Catapult Ent. was bought by Mpath Interactive Inc. and as such was the subject of a lawsuit at the time of it's sale/Chapter 11 Bankruptcy filing.

http://www.stblaw.com/content/publications/pub399.pdf

During that time as well, Mpath (as Mplayer) had licensed it's technologies to Sega for Heat.net.. and we all know that Sega licensed Catapult/Xband technologies for the Netlink..

But then later Heat.net folded.. Mplayer was sold to Gamespy (who in turn later was bought by IGN Entertainment) by HearMe (who had spun off from Mpath, and was later bought by PalTalk)..

But some of the MPlayer's technologies were sold to 4Anything.com, too...

And then there's Steve Perlman.. the above "Perlman" cited in the the court documents I found.. He's a multi-talented man.. and still working in the video game industry with OnLive..
http://www.rearden.com/people/index.html

Anyhow, just an exploration through that, as I find it to be a tangled web..
:D
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Intresting that you found it past the mpath mplayer and hear me companies as i couldnt find out where it went from there.

steve perlman has heavy ties to the original xband obviously as one of the founders and he wrote quite a bit of code as well.. Konstantin othmer owns the rights to the client side along with another guy (brett). I dont remember bretts last name but he coded alot of the nhl and madden game patches. Kon is an easy going guy and i seriously doubt he would be out to get anybody for xband2 being around.im sure. as long as we dont charge money for the software itself i dont think he really cares about it being around.