X-Band Source code FOUND!!!! (Sega only so far)

Former Xbanders on SNES or Genesis can get in touch with each other here. Also for people who wish to help with the Xband revival project.
rush6432

X-Band Source code FOUND!!!! (Sega only so far)

Post by rush6432 »

Ok guys, this is HUGE, its the part we needed to really get any work done and ive obtained a copy from a previous catapult employee with the owner of the xband rights giving his ok to release a copy of it with a few small things missing as they were adapted into later projects i believe.

Best part is we have.......... server source code.... yes you heard that right.

Most, if not all is written in C language while the game patches are in assembly format. ill be asking if he has any game patches as well. we;ll see what we can find.

Now with all this being said we can probably revive the service, but i cannot commit and say that 100% as unforseen things can come our way and not to mention we have xband 2.0 on the plate right now being worked on.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I need to speak with you on AIM soon, it seems. :)
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

why dont you talk to me on aim when your online but than it seems like your ignoring me :cry:
Last edited by segasaturndude on Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to the Real world, Sega Saturn Image
segasaturndude

Re: X-Band Source code FOUND!!!! (Sega only so far)

Post by segasaturndude »

i wouldnt mind hosting th server for you guys, i have an old dial up/broadband server we can use for the server. i believe its an sun microsystems server

rush6432 wrote:Ok guys, this is HUGE, its the part we needed to really get any work done and ive obtained a copy from a previous catapult employee with the owner of the xband rights giving his ok to release a copy of it with a few small things missing as they were adapted into later projects i believe.

Best part is we have.......... server source code.... yes you heard that right.

Most, if not all is written in C language while the game patches are in assembly format. ill be asking if he has any game patches as well. we;ll see what we can find.

Now with all this being said we can probably revive the service, but i cannot commit and say that 100% as unforseen things can come our way and not to mention we have xband 2.0 on the plate right now being worked on.
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

segasaturndude wrote:whyd ont you talk to me on aim when your online but than it seems like your ignoring me :cry:
blah edited...
Last edited by rush6432 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

segasaturndude wrote:i wouldnt mind hosting th server for you guys, i have an old dial up/broadband server we can use for the server. i believe its an sun microsystems server
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure how useful that would be to us. We'll see.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Post by Krazystyle83 »

Info from Sc00bz :
The following files were stripped from the server code. LApplication.h, LListener.h, MixedMode.h as well as the actual C files that go with those headers. LApplication has quite a bit of missing info on how the server patches, I believe LListener contains the protocol.

Hopefully we can fill in some of these gaps with the client code?
neviksti

Post by neviksti »

Wow! I just got the news.

I would like to try to recreate a real server just to see if it is possible. Anyone up for it?

Since the SNES XBand allows us to edit the data on the cartridge, we can easily change the number it dials. Also we hopefully have useful backups of actual memory for the xband on the SNES from when the service was running. So getting people up an running for this maybe the easiest way.

I unfortunately don't have a land line currently. Who out there has a land line, a SNES, an XBand, and say MarioKart, and is willing to run some tests?

I'll look through the code and see what I can find.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

neviksti wrote:Wow! I just got the news.

I would like to try to recreate a real server just to see if it is possible. Anyone up for it?

Since the SNES XBand allows us to edit the data on the cartridge, we can easily change the number it dials. Also we hopefully have useful backups of actual memory for the xband on the SNES from when the service was running. So getting people up an running for this maybe the easiest way.

I unfortunately don't have a land line currently. Who out there has a land line, a SNES, an XBand, and say MarioKart, and is willing to run some tests?

I'll look through the code and see what I can find.
I own all of that stuff, and we shouldn't need to change the phone number if we do it right.
neviksti

Post by neviksti »

I'm having trouble finding where the constants for the dispatched functions are defined. This is used constantly in the code, and provides me a quick way to match up with / find stuff in the ROM, so if there is a file that defines these and I'm just blind, please let me know.

For example stuff like:
void *DBGetItem( DBType type, DBID theID ) =
CallDispatchedFunction( kDBGetItem );

I've seen this function called in the ROM code, so I know what the function number is. But I can't seem to find the file that lists all these functions ids like kDBGetItem.

EDIT: And what is all that stuff with non-printable characters at the beginning and end of every source file?
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Post by Krazystyle83 »

The garble was definetly part of whatever source management they used.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I don't know about you guys, but I don't know if we want to clutter up the public forum with technical details/notes/inquiries. Just a thought.
neviksti

Post by neviksti »

Alrighty, good suggestion.
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

Warp2063 wrote:
segasaturndude wrote:i wouldnt mind hosting th server for you guys, i have an old dial up/broadband server we can use for the server. i believe its an sun microsystems server
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure how useful that would be to us. We'll see.
why would't it be use for you guys?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

segasaturndude wrote:
Warp2063 wrote:
why would't it be use for you guys?
It depends on whether we need a Sun server, and whether we need a whole dedicated server or not. It's quite possible that we can simply add the functionality to a server that's already running.