any luck with the official xband modems?

Former Xbanders on SNES or Genesis can get in touch with each other here. Also for people who wish to help with the Xband revival project.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: any luck with the official xband modems?

Post by Warp2063 »

I agreed to those terms and I have honored them. I have never released any of the source I was entrusted with. If anyone ever asked me for it, I referred them to you. If anyone else got hold of it, it was not through me.
Last edited by Warp2063 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Nothing to worry about then :)
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

BOOM found.................

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/sh ... p?p=560498

To tommy: Sorry man i understand your stance but.... i told you this wasnt something that should be widely distributed..

If konstantin othmer finds it and or any other catapult members, you've already signed your own death warrant on that one.......

COol that its out but, i wont be held responsible for the issues it causes and its crappy that out put all of our work out there. I was still working on this in spare time but due to the release its left a bad taste in my mouth and ive trashed what work i had done since we stopped working together here.
I managed to get it to speak to its own customer server program here......(bbs per say)

In case the following link above is broken. here is the post by user billcosbymon (Tommy)

"To the Xband Community... I've been pretty hard pressed to release these files into public domain. I wouldn't be doing this if I honestly didn't feel like maybe one day the right group of people getting ahold of these files could potentially bring justice to the original device. Attached in the following link is a zip file containing documentation of important memory addresses, images of debug units, a few game patches, debugging programs, and the golden Xband Genesis client source code, as well as the Xband Server source code. I made a few promises to never give this information out, and I'm normally not the type of person to break a promise. But as we all age, and the Xband slowly fades into history books, and farther away from current generations minds, I feel like this is potentially the best gift that can be bestowed on the community besides Xband 2 and Xband 3. Apologies to the awesome people at Catapult, the other members of The Xband Revival Team (Nevitski, Rush, Warp) for the betrayal. But if all of our hard work can in some way be brought to fruition for a miraculous revival of the original hardware... These are the building blocks. "
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I didn't realize they'd actually been released. I actually feel kind of ill now.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Dont worry, you and i kept our end of the bargain. Code that neviksti wrote is in there as well as other hard work we had figured out that tommy released for everyone. If the devs coming looking for him, its easy to spot as you cant erase whats on the internet once its uploaded.... (including forums posts)

Mighty shitty of you tommy to do such a thing without consulting with us all and even one of the catapult members...
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

it seems that some members released this confidential info onto the internet for their own personal Gains. this is quite unwise. especially if catapults former members want to press a lawsuit against them.
Welcome to the Real world, Sega Saturn Image
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Right....

I made him well aware that i wont be held responsible and neither will warp or anyone else that worked on it.

If any former catapult members contact me, im forwarding them directly to tommy/laguna cloud with their xband3 project. They're already in copyright violation by using the art from the original xband and logos but thats their own decision...

Ive got log files and emails speaking with him and him agreeing to even keep it quite and not distribute it.

he even stated himself he was taking the blame...

I hope for his sake the original devs aren't angry.... I Know there was a recent legal issue which i got dragged into because i knew about xband and had the source code and they were looking to invalidate the xband patents. Most likely former catapult members will come looking for him if that info is out.... im sure they want that kept secret...
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

I'm still curious what tommys/Laguna clouds intentions were?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

The idea is that with the code widely available for more people to look at, the chances of someone happening upon it and eventually successfully making use of it (in this case, reviving the original XBAND hardware) are higher. He also claims it's for historical purposes - by making more copies available, it's less likely that all copies will eventually be lost.

The problem is that he's claiming he's breaking a promise... and I believe that "promise" is too weak of a word. We had an agreement not to redistribute that code publicly without permission. While we may not have had to sign a formal non-disclosure agreement, that's essentially what we were doing. I don't know what the full legal ramifications of this could be.
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

hopefully nothing