Serial modem question

Former Xbanders on SNES or Genesis can get in touch with each other here. Also for people who wish to help with the Xband revival project.
segasaturndude

Serial modem question

Post by segasaturndude »

is it possible to make some Sega genesis games work with a 56K Serial modem hooked up through the rear EXT serial port? kinda like the Xband but faster?
Welcome to the Real world, Sega Saturn Image
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: Serial modem question

Post by Warp2063 »

You'd have to write a new game that allowed for multiplayer via a modem, or heavily modify an existing one. You would also have to build the connector and write software to use the modem, as well as select an existing or design a new communications protocol. You can't just plug in the modem and start sending commands.

I don't know how fast the Genesis' EXT port is, but it might not be able to output data at anywhere near 56kbps. Even if it can, chances are you're not going to need anywhere near that much bandwidth. A faster modem doesn't actually push data along the lines more quickly - it just pushes more data along in the same amount of time.

First things first. Learn how to write software for a single machine before you start worrying about telecommunications... writing software that coordinates the hardware and software of two or more machines is much more difficult!
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!