Xband Former Players Thread

Former Xbanders on SNES or Genesis can get in touch with each other here. Also for people who wish to help with the Xband revival project.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Xband Former Players Thread

Post by Xranger60 »

Any of you former Xbanders out there, for both systems, post on here what game you played, what system, and your favorite part about Xband.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Xband411

Post by Xband411 »

$aVaGe DeAtH
SNES

I was a Super Mario Kart addict. I played a few games of NBA Jam TE locally, but never had enough desire to take it Nationwide. There's just something about Battle Mode / Course 4 that kicks the adrenaline up.
Cobracf2

I played the heck out of NHL hockey

Post by Cobracf2 »

I lost 1 match to undefeated player named Runawaytrain. he ended up ranked number 1 I ended up ranked number 2 on the board. This guy smoked me. I mean I had never been beat so bad at that game. 14 -2 or something rediculous like that.
I have sega rally, virtual on, duke nukem all warmed up and ready to go. its been years so I am a little rusty take it easy on the old man LOL
mjgaming

Post by mjgaming »

Well I wish I could have played. I really like mario kart and I want to be able to play it online. I never knew that Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo could play games online until I found this website. Now since it has sparked my interest I wish I could play it online.
Play over 9,000+ games on http://www.mjgaming.co.cc
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

mjgaming wrote:Well I wish I could have played. I really like mario kart and I want to be able to play it online. I never knew that Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo could play games online until I found this website. Now since it has sparked my interest I wish I could play it online.
Unfortunately, even if we can get it working, there aren't likely to be many players left. :( I mean, we could still schedule matches, but the likelihood of finding a random match would be pretty low.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Cobracf2

Post by Cobracf2 »

Well I would love to still play but I have digital phone service and that just wrecks any connection that I get with anyone. I still have my netlink and the games but may have to move on but dont want too. digital phone is too cheap to give up I pay 19.99 per month with unlimmited long distance. I did look into switching my line back to regular phone service and they wanted 120.00 to hook me back up and 68.00 per month with unlimmited long distance. I would be crazy to do so. I do miss playing netlink so much one of my favorite times in videogaming was blasting someone on VO or kickin the crap out of someone on sega rally. Times have changed and technology is starting to move past the netlink :( Xband was also sweet I played the heck out of street fighter II and NHL hockey I loved those games! at onetime I was ranked 2nd on NHL hockey and connected with the 1st ranked player who was named runaway Train. well the game did not turnout well for me. He didnt call himself runaway train for nothing he beat me so bad on NHL hockey I thought I was a good player he took it up a notch and smoked me 14-2 just embarrassing lol
I have sega rally, virtual on, duke nukem all warmed up and ready to go. its been years so I am a little rusty take it easy on the old man LOL
Cobracf2

Post by Cobracf2 »

oh crap I didnt realize how old this thread was I double posted from months ago LOL
Undertaker_COTN

SNES XBAND MADDEN 95

Post by Undertaker_COTN »

I mainly played MADDEN 95. I was the best out there. I took on everybody. I won many tournaments unsponsered and sponsered. I lost occasionly, but i betcha my opponents pee their pants doing so. :lol:

I also had a club too. C.O.T.N. (Creatures Of The Nights) It was a madden club. I had about 110 madden players.

I also did a paper called Tombstone News for quite some time.

I remember this guy called XXX and he was always #1 on the list. He claimed he was the best, but never played nationwide so he said. I believed he did play nationwide but under a different name, but could never prove it. I kept records of all my matches and where they were from, so i had an idea of who his other name was when he played me. Also remember Oaktown Playa! also known as OP! we became good friends and he was very good, but local player, so i couldnt play him. One time he upgraded to nationwide and we arranged a game. i dominated the game, but he would always pull out 1 lucky play to score or get a field goal. Anyways, we played to a tie!! I was so disapointed since i was the one making him look bad. Good times!! That was some of my memories.
The Death Bell Has Tolled And Your Soul Is Mine... Rest...In...Peace...
rangerjoe

Post by rangerjoe »

I was rangerjoe and strictly played NHL 95 on the Sega Genesis, usually played against my buddy who lived in my town.

We bought our XBand modems at Electronics Boutique back in '94 and I still have my modem and the keyboard from Catapult. Great memories.
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

lucky you, i always wanted to find and buy a keyboard for the x band modem
Welcome to the Real world, Sega Saturn Image
BooBee

Re: Xband Former Players Thread

Post by BooBee »

Holy Cow! Talk about a blast from the past.

I played MK2 on Sega and loved getting the phone calls after a match saying, "Why you cheesing mother F@*er!" LOL!

I remember getting my butt whooped by Unknown XXX since we were local in NYC.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Welcome to the board! I remember the phone calls, too. I think it's going to be hard for newer gamers to believe that back in the day, after an "online" game, you could pick up the phone and chat up your opponent.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
caine0316

Post by caine0316 »

Man i wish this was still around. I played on SNES, i was TheAlmighty1 and played Super Street Fighter 2 and was a badass in that :D I also played MK2 and some others. I also remember i used to do wrestling news and contests on my other profiles.

We had a big group that used to record the dial tones the xband made so we could figure it out and make free long distance calls to each other, though Xband found out and called all of our houses to talk to our parents about what we were doin lol.

Those were awesome times
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Those recordings would be interesting to hear if they still exist.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

That's interesting.
I suppose it was some kind of free call to users paid by xband. The software did the noises and the call was billed to them.
But that sounded so simple that I imagine a lot of people "hacked" similar stuff all the time.

I remember some dial up billing plans advertising "free internet" but not free calls. I always wondered if fax machines abused these kind of plans.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D