New Xband 3CE Screenshots

Former Xbanders on SNES or Genesis can get in touch with each other here. Also for people who wish to help with the Xband revival project.
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

New Xband 3CE Screenshots

Post by Krazystyle83 »

These are not new for all of you, but some of you may or may not know that the Xband 3D client was scrapped due to people not liking it's 3D-Ness. What you may or may not have known is that a completely cross platform Xband 3 has been in development. Enjoy!

Desc : Early hello world, early network tests, UPDAT3R update program, Login Test, Social Band Alerts from server after login, an early test of Xband Instant Messaging.

We also now know how to get around alot of port forwarding issues (one of the reasons everyone hated Xband 2 / couldn't use it) utilizing a technique called UDP Hole Punching!

NWA

Re: New Xband 3CE Screenshots

Post by NWA »

Does it work with windows?
Better run home to momma now!
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Post by Krazystyle83 »

Yes, windows, linux, all Mac OSX versions, and if we wanted to maintain even OS9
NWA

Post by NWA »

So when will we be able to use this? ^_^
shicky256

Post by shicky256 »

When will I get to use it, as well? You gave me your word months ago that I'd be a beta tester. By the way, how goes work on the Wii port? I didn't see it listed on the post. Will the client be still be programmed in Visual Basic, and then be ported over to other platforms, or will it be programmed in C or something? Are you going to make another Q&A because of the large changes? Finally, will you make a version for mobile platforms? Not iOS, of course, but something a bit more open, like Google Play, or the WebOS Store? Webos has a pretty big market share after the fire sale (I'm typing on it right now), and even it has a higher market share than OS 9. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm very interested in this.
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Post by Krazystyle83 »

There have been alot of rewrites to 3. It is compiled in C++. Most of the reasons have been effiency / us getting better as programmers. Yes, it's been years, it's just a hobby, but it's really come a long way. We're now utilizing an Open Fire server as a back-end for 3.0. What this allows us is a proven stable ground for buddy lists, chat rooms, instant messages, stats, profiles, xmail... etc as it's all based off of the XMPP protocol! (the other cool thing is you can use most mutli protocol instant messengers to communicate with people on Xband 3!) To be honest, if you have an XMP / Jabber compatible client, you might notice that Xband3.com has been a jabber server for quite sometime... But I don't recommend creating an account through a jabber client if you want to use it for 3. I'd wait for the official account creator otherwise your icon, icons color / custom icons etc probably won't function properly in the final. The version that's in the works I consider to be final. No more rewrites, i'm actually proud of it. I've been working on it on and off for a while. I would like to say that account creation will be open to members by Christmas Eve. I'm trying my damndest
shicky256

Post by shicky256 »

Is this thing going to work on PowerPC OSX, or just OS9 for PowerPC? If it's just OS9, I'm fine since I can just use Classic, but it would be much more convenient to run under Tiger or something on my iBook.
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Post by Krazystyle83 »

The client will be cross-compiled to as many OS as we possibly can, a Power PC version will definetly be there. The trickiest part of this entire ordeal lays in cross-platform emulator netplay. We're back to a full team on this project again instead of just me, so things will hopefully pick up again!
NekoCahlan

Post by NekoCahlan »

As dumb as this sounds, what platform is this supposed to be on? I dont get it...
I have all of the Netlink games.
NWA

Post by NWA »

NekoCahlan wrote:As dumb as this sounds, what platform is this supposed to be on? I dont get it...
Its like the original xband but redone and revamped for pc's on an emulator :mrgreen:
NekoCahlan

Post by NekoCahlan »

NWA wrote:
NekoCahlan wrote:As dumb as this sounds, what platform is this supposed to be on? I dont get it...
Its like the original xband but redone and revamped for pc's on an emulator :mrgreen:
That doesnt help me at all. I though Xband was Genesis/Snes/Saturn(japan) online play. Not some chat thing?
NWA

Post by NWA »

NekoCahlan wrote:
NWA wrote:
That doesnt help me at all. I though Xband was Genesis/Snes/Saturn(japan) online play. Not some chat thing?
There was pre match chatting on the original xband too. This new x band can play online too.
NekoCahlan

Post by NekoCahlan »

NWA wrote:There was pre match chatting on the original xband too. This new x band can play online too.
I see. So again, which platform is this on then? All 3? Saturn? Genesis?
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

NekoCahlan wrote:
NWA wrote:There was pre match chatting on the original xband too. This new x band can play online too.
I see. So again, which platform is this on then? All 3? Saturn? Genesis?
I'll give you some background. A few years ago there were some efforts at getting the original Xband working again, and some members were even able to obtain source code. However, the code they were able to obtain was only some of the client code, and without the server protocol, it's extremely difficult to try to revive the server.

Eventually, a few people decided that instead of trying to revive the Xband hardware, they would create a "new" Xband for computers. It was originally called "Xband 2," but that was short-lived, and the current iteration is "Xband 3." The premise is to recreate Xband as much as possible. Xband 3 will approximate the Xband user interface and will be a matchmaking service for 16-bit games. The developers plan on supporting many of the original Xband-supported games. It will work through emulation- they are modifying emulator code and some of the actual game roms to do this. The client will do the matchmaking and automatically launch the "emulator" program for online play.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
NekoCahlan

Post by NekoCahlan »

Ohhh, that's pretty sweet! 16 bit only huh? No Saturn love for the JP Xband? :P