Xband 2.0 Revived

Former Xbanders on SNES or Genesis can get in touch with each other here. Also for people who wish to help with the Xband revival project.
Teen_Extreme

Xband 2.0 Revived

Post by Teen_Extreme »

Hello guys,

I'm here to announce that i'm currently reviving the Xband 2 servers and adding a few improvements to the client.

Few years ago, I uploaded a gameplay video to YouTube, and I saw that few people want to try Xband 2 but they can't because the original servers have been taken down. So I decided to download the source for Xband 2 (OpenXB2) and and gonna revive EVERYTHING that the Original Xband 2 has to offer as possible.

What's working:
Server connection: WORKING
User log in and registration: WORKING
Match Making: WORKING Thanks to shicky256 for verifying that.
Midnight Lounge chat: WORKING
XMAIL: WORKING
Stats: NOT WORKING Well I got the viewing stats thing working but due to the Finding opponent screen bug, it doesn't record your wins or losses

Reported and verified bugs:
After finding a opponent and finished playing a game, the screen will stay as "Looking for opponents" screen until you close and restart Xband 2
Tetris and Dr. Mario and Super Street Fighter II crashes ZSNES with an "index" error. That's because there's a few SQL stings related to in game match recording. It might take longer to get it fixed, so please be patient.

You can download it at http://xband2.no-ip.biz
See ya there! :D
Last edited by Teen_Extreme on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Re: Xband 2.0 Revived

Post by Krazystyle83 »

I took a look back at the code, I have a question TE... Did the OpenXB2 project come packaged with Player.vb??? I want to make sure that all of the files indeed have been included
Teen_Extreme

Post by Teen_Extreme »

Krazystyle83 wrote:I took a look back at the code, I have a question TE... Did the OpenXB2 project come packaged with Player.vb??? I want to make sure that all of the files indeed have been included
Yep, OpenXB2 does contain Player.vb
GreaterUnknown

Post by GreaterUnknown »

Thanks Teen_Extreme, I've been wanting to play it too. Is this going to be a straight-forward copying and pasting of the old Xband 2.0, or will it be different? If I have to deal with forwarding ports, there's no way I will be able to play, mainly because my dad doesn't want me messing with his router.
Teen_Extreme

Post by Teen_Extreme »

GreaterUnknown wrote:Thanks Teen_Extreme, I've been wanting to play it too.
I know how you feel. It'll be exciting to play XBAND 2 again and hosting it at the same time! :D
GreaterUnknown wrote:Is this going to be a straight-forward copying and pasting of the old Xband 2.0, or will it be different?
Well I think its a copy and pasting of the old XBAND 2 but with a few inprovements currently planning.
GreaterUnknown wrote:If I have to deal with forwarding ports, there's no way I will be able to play, mainly because my dad doesn't want me messing with his router.
I'm sorry to say this, but right now you have to forward your ports. Once again, I'm sorry :(
Teen_Extreme

Post by Teen_Extreme »

Hello again, I now have a (crappy and messed up) website ready!
Visit it here: http://xband2.no-ip.biz/

I'm also announcing that the XBAND 2 Revived is gonna release to the public on July 1st 12:00 PM Eastern Time, so better mark your calenders! :D

Also, I placed a countdown timer when the release comes, so remember to check the timer from time to time! You may also have to refresh the page when the timer hit zero to get the download link.
See ya there! :)
shicky256

Post by shicky256 »

I just played Teen_Extreme, and can guarantee that the matches work, at least for Super Mario Kart. Tetris and Dr. Mario, the other game we tried, threw up an error and now says (Not Working) next to it. I hope that gets fixed, as I like a good game of Tetris.
Teen_Extreme

Post by Teen_Extreme »

shicky256 wrote:I just played Teen_Extreme, and can guarantee that the matches work, at least for Super Mario Kart. Tetris and Dr. Mario, the other game we tried, threw up an error and now says (Not Working) next to it. I hope that gets fixed, as I like a good game of Tetris.
Much obliged for the bugs you have reported to me. I'll hopefully get them fixed ASAP :D
An update will be released soon.

I have updated the first post with the download link to Xband 2 Revived and bugs you have reported to me.

See ya in XBAND 2! :D
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Post by Krazystyle83 »

TE - I'll double check to see if we can get that matchmaking bug fixed. It's been an insanely long amount of time since Laguna/Krazy has touched this code.... It's wierd seeing it / and how bad it was again lmfao.
Teen_Extreme

Post by Teen_Extreme »

Krazystyle83 wrote:TE - I'll double check to see if we can get that matchmaking bug fixed. It's been an insanely long amount of time since Laguna/Krazy has touched this code.... It's wierd seeing it / and how bad it was again lmfao.
LOL! Also, I found the problem causing the last two games not working. There were a few MySQL things missing in the Memory address related tables. Maybe if you can try to get them recovered, we should get that problem fixed in no time! :D See ya on XBAND!
Teen_Extreme

Version 1.1 Released!

Post by Teen_Extreme »

A new client version has released!

1.1 Added an notification sound to the Midnight Lounge, It will ring if you join the lounge, if someone
joins or leaves the lounge, and if you sent text to the chat. (I tried to make it ring if someone sends text to the lounge but I never got it to that part yet. :P)

Implemented a new and better background ripped directly from the SNES cart. Speical thanks to Krazystyle83 for sending this and a few ripped sprites to me! :D

You can download the version at http://xband2.no-ip.biz Game on! :D
schokobaer

Post by schokobaer »

Hey there,

one EU SNES user here, who never knew of the blessing known as XBAND until this very day :)

I have been thinking about a solution to make original hardware capable of playing online via altering game code/transmitting button commands for a while now, so this idea is over 15 years old, nice :)

The only thing that bothers me is the fact that I (and several of my friends) want to use this thing on actual hardware (wanna play Street Fighter online like on GGpo e.g.) or see, if this kind of cartridge can be assembled to make it connectible to a PC/Internet and/or Keyboard. Just having ideas here ;)

I know most people nowadways simply lack of the original hardware, but I personally simply can't stand emulation on PC.

I think a problem would be the regional lock (guess there was never a PAL version hehe), but otherwise it should be possible, right?

I'll appreciate any info by fellow enthusiasts :)
schokobaer

Post by schokobaer »

NVM just read the other thread "Why not make a new modem?" and think that cover's most of my question although it goes for Genesis :/
Man, I really got excited about this and now it's all crumbling again...
Teen_Extreme

Server close notice

Post by Teen_Extreme »

Hello guys, I have some bad news. XBAND 2 Revived will close it gates on August 27. Why you may ask? Couple of reasons.

1. Lack of interest. On the original XBAND 2, it gets very little popularity. Xband 2 Revived got the same thing.. for only a few days. I am slowly losing interest in this project myself, I got tons of other interests that I have, some that lasts all the time, and some that last a few days or weeks.

2. Bugs, lots of it. Krazystyle is right, the OpenXB2 source is very buggy as heck! Even some of the important components are missing! Like the score memory addresses for Tetris And Dr. Mario, and Super Street Fighter II (he says that game have LOTS of bug to work out). I don't have enough programming knowledge to handle such a task.

If you like to your own XBAND 2 servers, Go aheard, Look for the topic called OpenXB2. If you have any questions on OpenXB2, go ahead and PM me about it, and I'll try to answer it as best as I can.
I may reopen XBAND 2 Revived when I feel like it. but don't count on it.

So, I'd like to say thank you for your very little support on this project. I appreciate that. With that out of the way, The only two things I want to say is this.. So long, and goodbye... for now :cry:
PRIZZA

Post by PRIZZA »

Is there any way you could send me the client/server files if you still have them? I'd be willing to see what I can do with working out some of the bugs.

I have a server available for hosting too.