Sega Saturn Video CD

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

instead of VHS I'd recommend Laserdisc as the best looking analog video source. :D They look great on a CRT just about as good looking as DVD but no compression.
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I'm sure Laserdisc is a digital source... although I've never seen a Laserdisc player with anything but analog out.
alpha&omega

Post by alpha&omega »

Ok, what I'm really getting at is the "motion blur" effect. A higher refresh rate on LCDs means their pixels refresh faster, thus reducing motion blur.

"LCDs often have a greater motion blur effect because the pixel in an LCD remains lit unlike the CRT phosphors that merely strobe for a very brief period of time. Reducing the time an LCD is lit has been shown to reduce motion blur due to eye tracking by decreasing the time period the backlit pixels are on.[2] However, an instant strobe is required to completely eliminate the retinal blurring."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDTV_blur
Got Netlink?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

alpha&omega wrote:Ok, what I'm really getting at is the "motion blur" effect. A higher refresh rate on LCDs means their pixels refresh faster, thus reducing motion blur.

"LCDs often have a greater motion blur effect because the pixel in an LCD remains lit unlike the CRT phosphors that merely strobe for a very brief period of time. Reducing the time an LCD is lit has been shown to reduce motion blur due to eye tracking by decreasing the time period the backlit pixels are on.[2] However, an instant strobe is required to completely eliminate the retinal blurring."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDTV_blur
So, as I said, a faster blanking time will reduce blur. You don't need a crazy refresh rate; just a good blanking time.
JerryTerrifying

Laserdisc is analog not digital.

"The standard home video laserdisc is 30 cm (11.81 inches) in diameter and made up of two single-sided aluminum discs layered in plastic. Although appearing similar to compact discs or DVDs, Laserdiscs use analog video stored in the composite domain with analog sound and/or some form of digital audio. However, despite its analog nature, the Laserdisc at its most fundamental level is still recorded as a series of pits and lands much like DVDs and CDs are today.[10] The first Laserdiscs featured in 1978 were entirely analog but the format evolved to incorporate digital stereo sound in CD format (sometimes with a TOSlink or coax output to feed an external DAC), and later multi-channel formats such as Dolby Digital and DTS."

Laserdiscs have nearly the same resolution as a DVD but are analog so there's no digital comrpession.
r3s3t

smoother gfx with vcd card on some games

Post by r3s3t »

is it true taht some games support the vcd card for saturn to bring better gfx quality to the screen ?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: smoother gfx with vcd card on some games

Post by Warp2063 »

r3s3t wrote:is it true taht some games support the vcd card for saturn to bring better gfx quality to the screen ?
Only for certain cutscenes. As far as I know, only a handful of Japanese games supported it.
JerryTerrifying

Re: Sega Saturn Video CD

Well if you want the best quality analog video you need to invest in Laserdisc. The video is all analog and it's just a notch below DVD quality. Looks amazing on an SD tv.
Austin Peyton

Post by Austin Peyton »

I got a vcd card recently.
what programs should I use to burn a vcd?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Not sure. I wasted a bunch of discs trying to get the video formatting right.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Austin Peyton

Post by Austin Peyton »

Yeah I was only able to get to the screen to select your scene and the it reboots the saturn to the boot screen when I click the triangle play button, but it does show the victor boot screen and menus.
I used a mp4 format and converted it in AVS converter to 1150 kilobytes 29.7 fps 352x240 and converted to Mpeg-1
Burned using nero 7 ultra on video cd to a verbatim cd-r 700mb and 80 min
Austin Peyton

Post by Austin Peyton »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZfBlA8B5Pk&t=33s
figured it out
need to use TMPGEnc 2.5 to format to mpeg and vcd gear to convert to bin/cue
Also got multiple files on one disk and selected the individual tracks with the scene button