We just got the real Xband modem to connect...

Former Xbanders on SNES or Genesis can get in touch with each other here. Also for people who wish to help with the Xband revival project.
SEGA RPG FAN

Re: We just got the real Xband modem to connect...

Post by SEGA RPG FAN »

I crave more details
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

That's nothing new. I've been able to get the genesis xband to do the same thing. it's just dumping info and waiting for the server to respond. no real modification is needed to make this happen other than a phone line simulator and a terminal on the other end.

if you can get it to actually send back data TO THE xband from the pc side, great your off to a stsrt. Someone MIGHT Have dumped sram with Mario kart I believe but you'll be diving into that via hex editor finding the patch specific data and profile data
Last edited by rush6432 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

double post.
Last edited by rush6432 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xiden

Post by Xiden »

Hmmm. Really wish we could figure out how to get the japanese saturn xband modem to direct dial. Have you tried dumping data from tge japanese modem?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Dumping the XBAND SRAM is easy enough. Dumping an XBAND ROM is weird. If the Japanese version is anything like the US one, it probably has a custom chip in there. (In the US, it was the FRED chip.) FRED acted as a major control chip, pulling data from the cartridge ROM, its own ROM, and the SRAM on the cart, and patching it all together on the fly. I did a bunch of experimental dumps with a passive dumper some years back, but what came out was weird. I don't remember whether I was actually able to get into much of the actual XBAND ROM.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Xiden wrote:Hmmm. Really wish we could figure out how to get the japanese saturn xband modem to direct dial. Have you tried dumping data from tge japanese modem?

So if its anything like the snes/genesis version it most likely needs a "dial script" to be obtained from the xband server so it knows what number to dial, and their username and a few other things.
BrAlZy

Post by BrAlZy »

Very interesting. Looks like the use of a true land-line phone on the first generation XBAND modems is no longer required. Now all we need is a server so matches can be made, correct? Obviously that's easier said than done, however I would say the fact that the XBAND modem has been faked out into making a connection is the biggest step of progress since the original service shutdown.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

The US XBAND modems, from what we've learned, spit out a bunch of data right after connecting to what it believes is the server. We've seen some hints so far that the Japanese XBAND may be very similar, if not the same as the US Genesis and SNES XBANDs when it comes to communicating with the server, but we can't say for sure. We've got a good way to go until we can reproduce that server, but we're working on it!
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
BrAlZy

Post by BrAlZy »

So after looking through some files that were made available by Krazystyle83 and forum posts on previous revival efforts of XBAND, I think this is a little more possible then we think. With the available files, we have a huge portion of the Sega Genesis XBAND source code. While many people would rather start with the revival of the Super Nintendo XBAND service, I think we should worry about the Sega Genesis service as it is the easiest to conquer. The Sega Genesis XBAND has both its client and server source code, albeit the server is missing a few files: LApplication.h, LListener.h, MixedMode.h as well as the actual .c files of the same names. User sc00bz who notified the community about these missing files stated: "LApplication has quite a bit of missing info on how the server patches, I believe LListener contains the protocol." Now, I don't know for a fact if these are critical server files (they probably are, someone would have to dig through the server source code to find out), but if they aren't we could have a working Genesis server application with some missing functionality after compiling the source. If these files only deal with patches, then patches would have to be applied to ROMs manually and the ROMs would have to be run on a flash cart. Of course, if that doesn't work, at least Weaponlord should work as it natively supports XBAND.

In the event that these files are critical server files, then we would need someone who can code C to reverse engineer those files with the existing server source code and also would probably need to use the client source code to reverse engineer the missing files. Obviously a lot to ask for (and would definitely take some time to do) but would be very beneficial to the XBAND revival community.

Now as it has been said before by rush6432, what was done in that video, while the biggest milestone in the XBAND revival, was nothing too special. It was simply two modems talking to each other with the receiving end (the computer) sending a packet the XBAND was looking for to confirm it has made a connection, thus prompting the screen to say "Connected to XBAND!" However, this is proof that the community has found a way to get the XBAND in a connected state where it will give information to the receiving end (a terminal or server) over VoIP. The same thing can very well be done with the Genesis XBAND. The next step which would be a very substantial step, would be sending information that the XBAND can interpret back to the XBAND so it can progress further in the connecting state. This can either be done from scratch (via full reverse engineering) or use of the existing Genesis server source code which would possibly need some reverse engineering and then would need to be compiled and set up on a server. No matter which way the community would like to approach this, reverse engineering will need to be done. The easier of my two suggestions of approaching revival of the Genesis XBAND,while more wordy, would be the latter. Either way, a server is going to need to be set up (which will be the costly part due to host charges amongst other things).

There is still plenty that needs to be done before we see a revival of the XBAND. I know I'm not very known around here and I haven't been on the scene for long, but I believe from whatever knowledge I have of hardware and software that this can be done easier than the community has made it out to be. Maybe I'm wrong and this whole post is garbage, but I think we should put the Super Nintendo XBAND on the backburner and bring the Sega Genesis XBAND to the forefront as it will be significantly easier to get up and running again.

In case if you'd like to look at the Sega Genesis XBAND source code available for yourself:

Sega Genesis XBAND Client Source Code
https://github.com/X-Band/SegaOS

Sega Genesis XBAND Server Source Code
https://github.com/X-Band/SegaServer
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Post by Krazystyle83 »

18193934_10155284079001468_5675252041393815801_n.jpg
18193934_10155284079001468_5675252041393815801_n.jpg (92.5 KiB) Viewed 66197 times
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

So, I guess we havnt updated here much about any progress we've made. Please keep in mind everyone on the revival team has a full time job and other obligations that keep us from working on the project constantly. It is still a priority when we have the time though.

That being said, we have managed to get xband modems for both snes and Sega to connect and puke Information. We have decoded this Info and probably can send data back to the xband but havnt tried just yet.There is some code already written to do this. We are finalizing what we have so far and defining all the Info the modem pukes on first connect and we are virtually almost done with that part.

We have also managed to change the 1800 number on the Sega side and potentially the snes side (needs testing). This should make it VERY easy to connect when the time comes.

The server is the same for snes as it is the Sega and Saturn (j) and snes (j) as well. No guarantee that any of this works on anything past genesis and snes though so far as we aren't trying to test on Saturn or (j) snes xband.

As for game patches, I won't say what we have because it means nothing until they are tested and working, but right now there are more Sega game patches available at the moment.

I encourage you guys to follow the xband group on Facebook as we are updating that a bit more than we have been here.
BrAlZy

Post by BrAlZy »

So... then I guess my massive post was pointless :P. I didn't even know there was an XBAND Facebook page. Glad to know that this is progressing better than before. I hope to be able to experience XBAND soon. I'm gonna go grab a Sega Genesis XBAND modem (it's cheap enough)! :D
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

BrAlZy wrote:Very interesting. Looks like the use of a true land-line phone on the first generation XBAND modems is no longer required. Now all we need is a server so matches can be made, correct? Obviously that's easier said than done, however I would say the fact that the XBAND modem has been faked out into making a connection is the biggest step of progress since the original service shutdown.
Just to clear this up, yes true landlines might still be needed. The system was designed to use them to begin with. we MIGHT get away with putting the xband server on voip potentially, but for modem to modem game matches, you'll probably have to have a real land line to keep the latency down.
BrAlZy

Post by BrAlZy »

I'm curious to know which game patches you have for each system. I want to know so I can purchase all the possible working games for when a new server goes up.