Recieved Netlink, no dial tone

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
shinoco

Recieved Netlink, no dial tone

Post by shinoco »

This is with default init, I tried multiple phone jacks, and even resorted to plugging into the cable modem, it always says no dial tone. I tried using just AD&T as init and it dosent seem to do anything, it gets to 28.8 OK and nothing happens. I hope this Netlink is ok. My DC had no trouble connecting using the same phone jacks, and playing Quake 3 online. Same phone service too.
shinoco

Post by shinoco »

I connected my phone to the jack on the netlink and I get dial tone, so its there, maybe I need an init string? I'm going to check Brighthouse, my phone provider.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

If a single box is indeed providing power and phone connection to multiple jacks in your house, it's possible that the NetLink isn't getting enough juice from your line (from that box) to realize that it's actually connected to a line. There are boosters that you can buy. Another thing to try is disconnecting a few phones from their jacks, then trying again. It wouldn't be your init string at fault. It is also possible that you have a bad NetLink, but check the phone thing, first.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
shinoco

Post by shinoco »

I fixed it, had to add X1 (blind dial if no dialtone) to the init string. I connected to Juno yet pages wouldnt load, it checked for name and password then went to load a page and gave an error. Tried a few sites, so I reset the Saturn, now when I connect I get scrambled messeges in the green window, this is browser 2. I picked up the phone, it definately was the modem sounds on my phone line. It might be Juno right now, or my phone service is acting up. I surely fully connected the first time.
shinoco

Post by shinoco »

I tried a different free isp and connected fine. Was able to view Sega.com. I must say for a 28.8 its damn fast, probably because of how Saturn handles the connection. I need browser 3 because a lot of sites arent working, Sega.com loads yet google and yahoo wont. I want to see what browser 3 maybe can load, this is quite interesting. A friend of mine may loan me Sega Rally Netlink Edition until I can buy it, I will find out.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Strange that it's not detecting the dial tone... unless your digital phone service doesn't provide a dial tone or provides a dial tone that the Saturn won't recognize. If that's the case, I don't think there's any chance that any of the NetLink games will work on your digital phone line... or at least you can't be the person dialing. The games absolutely require a dial tone before they'll dial out. There is no override that I've been able to find.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
shinoco

Post by shinoco »

It may be browser 2 as well, that dosen't detect the dial tone, because Dreamcast never had this happen, it found it. I do have a dial tone, I'm thinking a combo of my phone provider and browser 2 possibly. I will try it when I get Sega Rally.

Maybe it uses the init string in my netlink save file when in a game?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

shinoco wrote:It may be browser 2 as well, that dosen't detect the dial tone, because Dreamcast never had this happen, it found it. I do have a dial tone, I'm thinking a combo of my phone provider and browser 2 possibly. I will try it when I get Sega Rally.

Maybe it uses the init string in my netlink save file when in a game?
I don't believe so. I remember there being a different preferences file for the PlanetWeb browser and the NetLink games. However, all the NetLink games share the same preferences file.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Sometimes I notice that the modem need to be taken out and inserted again.

Try that too. If it worked once with certain cable and jack, it might be the cartridge connector.

And it's not dust or anything, my Saturn and modem are all brand new.

So, turn off the Saturn, put the modem again and it should work.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D