What did you buy today?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I've made a compromise with myself. As I'm unwilling to pay the crazy prices for the US versions... I purchase the much cheaper Japanese versions, and then play backups of the US versions. So... I own a legal copy... just in the wrong language. It's not a perfect compromise, but it works for me. I've obtained Panzer Dragoon Saga, Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon II Zwei, Magic Knight Rayearth, Snatcher, and Popful Mail in this way.

Granted, the PD and PD2 US prices are reasonable... but as long as I was hunting down Japanese copies of pricey US games, I grabbed those too.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

The only reason I don't think you need to justify playing bootlegs like that is that buying those imports used still doesn't support the developers or Sega at all. I don't support piracy of new games and like I said the only bootleg I ever burned was Snatcher for the Sega CD. I probably won't ever make a bootleg of PDS becuase I'd have to install a modchip in my Saturn and I just don't have the money or desire to go through that much effort. Buying it, playing it and reselling it like suggested isn't a bad idea, I just can't make my self part with anything when I buy stuff.
Game collection on my site.
grolt

Post by grolt »

Jerry, if you're looking for a good, cheap RPG for the Saturn that isn't turn-based, then look no further than Dark Savior. I think it's a better game than PDS, anyway, not to mention about $135 cheaper!
That's fly.
JerryTerrifying

Those are some pretty good savings!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Jerry I threw in a Disc Only copy of Dark Savior I had with your Panzer games. Bonus!
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
grolt

Post by grolt »

xDerekRx wrote:Jerry I threw in a Disc Only copy of Dark Savior I had with your Panzer games. Bonus!
You're a good man! Now Jerry has no excuse. Play it!
That's fly.
JerryTerrifying

Yeah Derek mentioned that to me on AIM last night and I looked it up on youtube...the game looks amazing! I can't wait to play it now. I do like action RPGs and Dark Saviour looks really freakin good.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Well, I guess I had to post my latest purchase

I bought PANZER SAGA for 160$ off Amazon last night. Ive been shopping for it around 150 for about a year now and just had to buy it. Jerry alerted me of the price. The listing said manual and discs near mint with the sleeves so Im ok with it. I want the condition of this game to be as good as possible considering it probably stays in the collection for life.

I cant believe I bought it. I might not open the package until Im ready to play it.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Manji

Post by Manji »

JerryTerrifying wrote:I do like action RPGs and Dark Saviour looks really freakin good.
yea i thought so too. it's not a bad game really, but it's the battles that killed it for me. i enjoyed landstalker on genesis and dark savior reminds me of that but i wish it had a similar real-time battle system. instead battles are like one-on-one matches.

...and congrats on the Panzer dragoon saga purchase, xderekRx! good investment.
JerryTerrifying

The one on one matches look very cool and I can't wait to see how it feels when I get to playing it. I also really like the way the graphics look. Should be a good time.

Yeah I'd rather PDS go to someone from the Saturnleague than to some random weirdo. I would have snagged it if I had some cash lying around. That's the best price I've seen it going for since I've been aware of the game.
grolt

Post by grolt »

Congrats on PDS, there is much fun to be had there. It is put together so well, the graphics are flawless and as always the world is compelling in a narrative sense. My one major gripe with the game is that there just aren't enough enemies. In some of those labyrinths it almost becomes tedious because you literally fight the same two different enemies over and over and over. It's such a small gripe that could have easily been fixed with a little more effort, that's why it gets me most of all.

Still, it's a great game, and whenever I play it I feel this grand weight of importance. THIS is the ever expensive holy grail; THIS is the one last hurrah from Sega for their Saturn and THIS is the culmination of Team Andromeda's mastery of the system from their launch with the original Panzer to the involving sequel to this four disc monster. Getting it in the mail certainly has an almost epic feeling to it.

As for Dark Savior, again, I love the one on one fights. It's a breath of fresh air in a genre that's either Zelda-style action-RPG or Final Fantasy-style turn-based. There is some great challenge to it, and you'll find with practice it's definitely able to be mastered. It's the five different story paths, though, that make the game so interesting. It's essentially five different RPGs in one, and on top of that there's a little bonus space flying game. This is a game where they truly put their all into it, and it's all the more disheartening to see it swept under the Saturn rug in favor of brand name RPGs like Saga or Shining Force III.
That's fly.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Grolt im not an RPG guy. Only played a couple. But I love the Panzer Dragoon games and I think im just going to like the atmosphere and the ability to play a "not on rails" version of the PD series. So even if im not into RPGs Im still excited to play the 3rd Dragoon saturn game with freedom.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

JerryTerrifying

Got the games I bought from Derek in today! Panzer Dragoon is as awesome as I remember it. The only game I can feel nostalgic for on the Saturn.

So far Dark Saviour is pretty kick ass. I think I'm gonna focus on this game for a while. :D
grolt

Post by grolt »

xDerekRx wrote:Grolt im not an RPG guy. Only played a couple. But I love the Panzer Dragoon games and I think im just going to like the atmosphere and the ability to play a "not on rails" version of the PD series. So even if im not into RPGs Im still excited to play the 3rd Dragoon saturn game with freedom.
It's not your typical RPG in that the battle happens more in real-time than it is dictated by your usual turn-based menu-driven system. It strikes a really fine balance between the two, and honestly, I think it's the best battle system I've ever played in a role playing game. It works as a nice bridge between the typical Panzer Dragoon system of fighting and the more complex choices allowed in RPGs. You definitely don't need to like RPGs to get into this game, it's one visual treat after another.
That's fly.
Trip Mercy

Post by Trip Mercy »

I'm new to this site and have not had my Saturn for very long, I just thought I'd say hello here and make a bit of a reply. I have noticed that several Saturn games are going to put me out a few dollars, such as the first House of the Dead. I thought $100 dollars was outrageous, but then I saw someone trying to sell Panzer Dragoon Saga for 300 dollars, and all I have to say is, that better be the most fantastic game ever made if you expect someone to pay that much money for it. I only have 6 Saturn games and I love them all. I intend to get a netlink very soon so I can fully enjoy my Saturn, so maybe I'm a sucker too, because I'm sure I'll end up paying 80 dollars for Shining Force 3 and all the other over priced games. I just love SEGA.