What did you buy today?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Personally I love seeing game set up pictures and videos on youtube. It's cool to see all the awesome stuff people have. And as you can tell I love my Mario tennis balls! I used to have a toon Link bobble head but it fell off my TV and he exploded at his scrawny knees. :( Boo.

Actually I'm going to make a new topic for gaming set ups! Woo!
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Maybe I was going to post this, then forgot? Or maybe I posted it in the wrong place?

*shrugs*

I got Virtua Cop 2, and NiGHTs and Sonic R should be in the mail. :D

I almost bought Panzer Dragoon Saga and Magic Knight Rayearth, but decided against it in the last few minutes.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Great choices Warp. Sonic R is very solid. At first the draw and controls might be awkward but once you get used to it (2nd or 3rd race) its awesome game with cool side missions. Nights is Nights and VC is a solid light gun game.

Next time you go spending, just buy Panzer Dragoon Saga, youll never regret it.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Manji

Post by Manji »

sonic r has music that gets annoying though :roll: nice at first but wears thin pretty quick for me. if it were without the vocals, i think i would enjoy it.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Does anyone else have a Virtua Cop game? Could you test something out for me?

I don't currently have a light gun. Whenever I plug in the game, it acts as if it's loading, will get through the Sega Saturn screen, then the SEGA screen... and then the screen goes black and the access light doesn't blink. Is the copy I bought defective, or does it just not load if it doesn't find a gun?
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

I wish I could play light gun games. Dumb HDTV's!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:I wish I could play light gun games. Dumb HDTV's!
I saw someone use some special converter box to play Duck Hunt on an HDTV. I wonder if it would work on other games. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06cd5y5l1Ns

Anyway... so far, I'm not very pleased with my purchases. Virtua Cop 2 won't start, NiGHTS ended up with a REALLY weird glitch, making it nearly unplayable, and Sonic R... I'm just no good at.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Manji wrote:sonic r has music that gets annoying though :roll: nice at first but wears thin pretty quick for me. if it were without the vocals, i think i would enjoy it.
Ah I think the music is great.

BTW you can turn the vocals off in the options menu to just have the music! Problem solved!
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Warp2063 wrote:
JerryTerrifying wrote:I wish I could play light gun games. Dumb HDTV's!
I saw someone use some special converter box to play Duck Hunt on an HDTV. I wonder if it would work on other games. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06cd5y5l1Ns

Anyway... so far, I'm not very pleased with my purchases. Virtua Cop 2 won't start, NiGHTS ended up with a REALLY weird glitch, making it nearly unplayable, and Sonic R... I'm just no good at.
That sucks. Ill test out my Virtua Cop 2 with my brand new Light Gun and see what happens.

As for Sonic R, just remember to use the L/R trigger on turns.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Manji

Post by Manji »

xDerekRx wrote:
Manji wrote:sonic r has music that gets annoying though :roll: nice at first but wears thin pretty quick for me. if it were without the vocals, i think i would enjoy it.

BTW you can turn the vocals off in the options menu to just have the music! Problem solved!
sweeeet. i see a copy of Sonic R in my future 8) .
grolt

Post by grolt »

Manji wrote:
xDerekRx wrote:

sweeeet. i see a copy of Sonic R in my future 8) .
It's about time! Seriously, what a game, and a ton of replay value trying to get all those emeralds and unlock the secret racers.
That's fly.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Update!

I pulled out my other Model 2 Saturn (the one that isn't currently disassembled) and tried out Virtua Cop 2 and my copy of NiGHTS on it. VC2 is awesome. I need to get a light gun soon. The game ran on my second try. :D And NiGHTS is really very pretty and fun, at least when it's not glitching up. I may try one of my resurfacing solutions on the disc to help clear off the scratches. It seems to run better on my Model 2 anyway, and somehow almost looks better on the newer system.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

If you start getting in to the light gun games and enjoy VC2, I recommend Area 51 and House of the Dead. Those are the best 2 (to me) on the system.

Cool you like Nights. Even if the gameplay doesnt suit you, the music, visuals and overall atmosphere make it worth popping in time after time.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

JerryTerrifying

I remember playing the Area 51 arcade cabinet...sweet game! They had it at my first job. House of the Dead...they had it at the movie theater...I liked Crypt Killer more! Krypt Killer had the shot gun! When I worked at the theater I spent every break playing Krypt Killer...I'd take like 2-3 bucks in quarters every day ahahha.
grolt

Post by grolt »

House of the Dead was a terrible port. Shame it's worth so much money, because it looks like diarrhea on the Saturn. SEGA couldn't even be bothered to port it themselves - they farmed it off to the same team that gave us laggy gameplay in the Sega Touring Car Championship port. Ugh. House of the Dead was definitely one of SEGA's killer apps - it might even be their most enduring game. I still see that sucker in any arcade I go to. That they half assed the port and gave up on the Saturn is pretty depressing, when they could have put some effort in and put some marketing muscle behind their later release games. Hindsight is 20/20, but a final release catalog of House of the Dead, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III and Burning Rangers...how could you mess that up!?
That's fly.