What did you buy today?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I'll give that a shot later when I've got some time to dink with it. I tried using Disc juggler the current version and the one on Ives site on two different computers and it was no good.
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I find BootDreams to be a fantastic program. You just run it and it works. No funky settings to mess around with. Or, if it doesn't know what to do with a funky format, usually it'll spit out an error message before it wastes a CD-R.

Ordered Lunar: Silver Star (Japanese) for my Saturn. It's not the Silver Star Story complete one that requires the MPEG card, but I'm planning on getting that one eventually.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Sweet! After much hunting, I received my PhotoCD/VCD card for my Saturn in the mail today (from someone in Australia)! It's the JVC RG-VC20 model, which is possibly the best one I could have found, with the possible exception of the RG-VC3. :D With the help of my trusty Action Replay, it works like a charm. I fortunately had a VCD that I burned a couple years back to test it with, as well as a PhotoCD.

Also, I got a Wii Motion+ accessory and Wii Sports Resort today. Fun times.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

I just picked up Wii Motion+ last night too. I liked the sword fighting and the cycling. The Cycling is far from perfect though. Like if you cycle hard for too long your guy stops and chugs some sports drink. But even when I go slow it's too fast for the game. I think they made it like that so little fat kids' hearts don't explode or something. I wish it'd let me just go as fast as long as I can handle. The sword fighting would be better if I could control where my guy went.

I also just picked up Mad World on Amazin. It's $20 new which is the right price for me.
katsujinken

Post by katsujinken »

Yee Haw, I got a copy of Sega Rally Netlink from a pawnshop for ten bucks flat! I still have yet to get that netlink though because I also finally bought myself an NES for my birthday back on the 14th and alot of my extra money has been devoted to impulsively building up a starter collection for that.

Also I got Silpheed for ten bucks but my SEGA CD broke like three days later. This is my third one and unlike the previous two which blew their fuses this time it's the spindle motor. Does anyone here know if it would be particularly difficult to cannibalize one of my old SEGA CDs for the parts I need and put them in the one that just broke? I ask because there's a copy of Robo Aleste at a local games store which has been crying out to me but if I can't play it, then what's the point?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Mmm... depends on what model the ones you're trying to pull parts from are, and which model you're trying to put them into. I disassembled my Sega CD 2 once, and if I remember, it's not hard to pull the whole laser/motor assembly, but that's assuming you have another one that works fully. I'll open mine up again today and take a look if you want.
JerryTerrifying

Replacing the fuse is the easiest way to fix one. Takes about 2 minutes. There's like one video on youtube and it has a link to the fuse you need. It costs about $5 for a pack of four fuses. I'd personally change the fuse over trying to swap parts. And get the correct power supply for and you won't have to worry about fuses ever again.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:Replacing the fuse is the easiest way to fix one. Takes about 2 minutes. There's like one video on youtube and it has a link to the fuse you need. It costs about $5 for a pack of four fuses. I'd personally change the fuse over trying to swap parts. And get the correct power supply for and you won't have to worry about fuses ever again.
It isn't his fuse that's broken.

Okay, I opened up my model 2 again and peeked inside...
If your goal is to just replace the spindle motor... good luck. There's a lot of parts you have to remove first without damaging them (the spindle... support piece, some gears) then remove five screws, two per motor and another one on the underside, pull the top and bottom half of the assembly apart, then de-solder the bad motor, desolder the good one, solder the replacement into place, and then reassemble. There's a LOT that can go wrong during that process. Not to say that it can't be done [without damaging anything]... I just don't think there's any chance of it being easy.

If you have an identical drive/lens assembly, I'm *assuming* that you can just pop the ribbon cable out of the one with the bad motor, then pop the replacement in.
Mytho

Post by Mytho »

I snagged a copy of Virtual On: Netlink Edition on eBay for $14.89.

I'm hoping that in the near future, I'll be able to score Saturn Bomberman, Sega Rally, and of course, an actual Netlink. :lol:
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Mytho wrote:I snagged a copy of Virtual On: Netlink Edition on eBay for $14.89.

I'm hoping that in the near future, I'll be able to score Saturn Bomberman, Sega Rally, and of course, an actual Netlink. :lol:
Gratz. Did you buy the one I was linking?

And welcome to the site!
Mytho

Post by Mytho »

No, I found another copy when I was searching under 'Net Link' on eBay. It was the cheapest I had seen the game in awhile, so I decided to jump on it.

Thanks for the welcome. :)
JerryTerrifying

I know he said his current Sega CD's fuse didn't blow, but the two he had before it blew. The two he wants to cannibalize. Instead of fixing the newest one the hardest way I'd recomend replacing two fuses in the other two he has that have blown fuses. Then he'd have two working Sega CDs and one broken one, instead of two broken ones and one working one.
JerryTerrifying

Oh man. I'm so excited about this one! I picked up a Laseractive off of ebay! For $87!!! I still need to pick up the Sega or TG16 expansion pacs in order to play games but I can still watch Laserdisc movies on it which is pretty freakin cool!

My internet friend never had VHS because they were Laserdisc supporters so she offered to give me all her Laserdisc movies. S long as I pay shipping which will be quite a bit since it's a 3 foot high stack.

I'm so excited!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Wow. I've kind of wanted a LaserDisc player for quite a while. I remember way back in the day, before DVD's were around (or at least before I'd heard of them -- sometime back in the late '90s), there was an anime series I wanted to get, and I had the option of VHS or LaserDisc. I wanted to get a LaserDisc player so that I could have it in a digital form.

I never did get that series in either of those formats, nor did I get a LaserDisc player. However, I did recently purchase it on one of its DVD re-releases. =P

Hooray for Bubblegum Crisis! =P
JerryTerrifying

Interestingly enough Laserdisc is analog and has been around since 1978. Check up on the laseractive though. I read about it in digital press' ultimate collectors guide. It plays two different format Laserdisc games, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Turbografx 16 hucards and Turgobrafx CD games, Laserdisc movies, and also has a karaoke add on. All on one machine!

I just picked up a Laserdisc player off craigslist and am listening to a CD on it since I don't have any LD movies yet. This thing is huge. It's like 15% bigger than the original Xbox. The Laseractive is even bigger I believe!

But $87 for the Laseractive on ebay is probably the best deal I'll ever see for one. I'll have to drop $150 for the addon to play Sega games. You actually have to have either of the addons to play the laserdisc games too which I don't get but whatever. It will function a a LD movie player on its own though. What I really want is the Turbografx Add on so I can play Turbografx CD games. Either way this will be the most bad ass piece of my gaming collection...right up there with my Action max!