What did you buy today?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I think I paid about $40 for each of my Saturns. And as I said, most of them came in great condition. Almost no cosmetic damage at all.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
grolt

Post by grolt »

JerryTerrifying wrote:I'd say get a cheap Saturn. I won a Saturn for $2 and another for $3 on ebay and they both work fantastically and one came with a memory cart. I'm always willing to go up to $5 for untested systems as they can be good for parts, cases for painting or just might work.

I just got a model 2 SNES that's not working for $5. Its said it doesn't power up...never know might just be a dead power supply and the seller doesn't know crap about games or have nother supply to test it with. Or it might be something for me to work on. At least then I'll have Ever Nintendo console in my collection.

Got my 32X earlier today! The power brick that came with it was dead. Apparently when you try to play a Genesis game with out any power going to the 32X you still get sound. I managed to get to a checkpoint in Sonic 2 with a blank screen! Woo! But then I swapped power supplies and it worked great. At least as a pass through for a Genesis game. Tomorrow when my girlfriend goes home I'll go up to the used game store and see if they've still got that copy of Star Wars Arcade that's been sitting there for years. If not I'll also go to the Flea Market and see what they've got.
The 32X Genesis was such a beast. It wasn't as much of a concern back in the day when my Genesis only had to compete with the SNES, but now, with all the consoles I've acquired, it's a lot to ask to plug in all that crap and take up two plugs with those giant adapters. Oh how I'd yearn for a Sega Neptune today...
That's fly.
Manji

Post by Manji »

32X always seemed like a strange little add-on to me, even back when it was released. sega certainly advertised it, but the games probably didn't jump out at me, didn't give you a sense of how different they were from Genesis or SegaCD games.

also i got Romance of the Three Kingdoms: Wall of Fire for Saturn today. really deep strategy game. i could see myself getting into it more if i learned about the options and workings of the game flow. i'll pick it up every once in a while i'm sure and keep it in the game queue.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I guess I just wasn't really aware of it (the 32X), seeing as I didn't have a current game system back then. I knew of people with Genesises (Genesi?), but I never owned one until 2008. The Saturn I'd only heard of in legend. (Actually, my Boy's Life magazine, as it mentioned the NetLink modem. Although I thought I remembered it calling it the Sega Satellite, so for years, I didn't know the actual name of the NetLink.)

So far, I'm not all that impressed with the 32X. It needs more [good] games that I want to play. Most of the time, I leave it disconnected and packed under my bed for power and aesthetic purposes.

It's almost another game system in itself... if I remember correctly, its chipset has some similarities to the Saturn...
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I'm pretty happy with it so far. But I did only pay like $7 for it. Yesterday I went to the used game store up the road and looked through all their 32X games. Wow they had a lot more than I tought they would. I picked up five.

Metal Head
Shadow Squadron
Star Wars Arcade - complete
Virtua Fighter
Zaxxon's Mother Base 2000 - complete

So far I spent the most time with Star Wars Arcade and Virtua Fighter. I want to give Metal Head some time and see if I can't get into it. I didn't really try Zxxon's Mother Base or Shadow Squaron...I just made sure they worked.

They also had Virtua Racing, Space Harrier, After Burner, Cosmic Carnage and back in the case a complete copy of Kolibri(sp?) the Humming Bird shooter in the box. I might ask how much the humming bird game is. I'm definitely going to go back for Virtua Racing, Space Harrier and After Burner....even though I don't really care for those games or racing games at all. I just really want them for some reason. They were like $3 a piece so maybe that's why. Virtua Racing does look really good from what I've seen on youtube though.

I'm bidding on Doom for a $1 on ebay and I'm also going to try and win knuckles Chaotix. So far though I'm really liking the 32X. I've got it hooked up with my Model 2 Genesis and Sega CD set up...so yeah that's a lot of power adapters.

I tested it out on the CDX and it worked great and does save me one outlet. Ive got the CDX over on my number 2 TV...so that makes it easy to move the 32X back and forth between my two tvs. So far though I'm really enjoying the 32X.
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I kind of want Virtua Racing... actually, I want both the original Genesis version and the 32X version, but mostly as technology examples. I should also look into Space Harrier and After Burner.

My 32X games:
Knuckles Chaotix (which I never could get into...)
Metal Head
Moto Cross Championship
Doom
Star Wars Arcade (I think it covers the whole trilogy, but I could be wrong, I don't know if there were different versions)
JerryTerrifying

I've never been huge on Virtua Fighter but something about this 32X version sucks me in and makes me want to play it.

And I'm the exact same way with wanting Virtua Racing as a tech demo. The place up the road also had the Genesis version. So I might pick both of those up and burn the Saturn version just to see all the different versions. Seeing vids on youtube the 32x version does look amazing.

And yeah I've never been wild about After Burner or Space Harrier but I guess it's just the limited library of the 32X that makes me want them so much...just to have some variety. And that pesky collecting bug.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

32x is a cool little system. On its own it only has what 20-30 games? But it has its own unique sonic game (well knuckles), has a copy of doom (really the only FPS worth playing on genesis or its add ons) and an incredibly rare game (spiderman)
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
rygod

Post by rygod »

jerry manji warp - thanks all for the great tips...

i "won" Street Fighter the Movie the Fighter... aka the worst game ever made for Saturn! w00t!

i am bidding on a few more fighters on ebay
vampire savior
marvel vs sf
dead or alive

... but am continuing to lose the console wars!

my first sticks and xmen vs sf should be arriving any day now but still no system!

i don't see any systems going on ebay for 3 bucks. the ones i am bidding on are bundles of sorts and seem to still be going for 60 or higher. argh!

i found a local nyc store that has one for 80 but man i would like to get away with just buying one for 40 bucks... keepin my fingers crossed!

btw i see netlinks available for 20 bucks, is that about right? whats it cost to do dialup these days anyways? is it just free? any pros or cons to using a real phoneline or cable digital phone?

one more thing... i am seeing some virtual on sticks on ebay but they seem to allude that they can only work on japanese model saturn console... is that the case?

almost time to pop my saturn cherry, a few more pieces, and deliveries and i am set... thanks for the advice everyone!
Indestructible
grolt

Post by grolt »

Space Harrier plays awesome on the 32X. For me it's the best port of the game to a home console. The Saturn version is way too sensitive and something about the graphics just seem off. The 32X version plays like a dream. Same with After Burner. Add in the solid ports of Virtua Fighter (with added camera angles and less load times than the Saturn version) and Virtua Racing (better in basically all respects compared to the Warner port for Saturn that AM2 had nothing to do with), and really the system stands out for its ports. As for console exclusives, Star Wars Arcade (it's crazy that this was the only home console the game went to...), Knuckles Chaotix and Kolibri (from the Ecco team) are all quality games. Blackthorne is pretty cool, too, but the SNES version is probably better, as sad as that sounds!
That's fly.
rygod

Post by rygod »

space harrier and after burner are some of my fond childhood memories and one reason i was getting a saturn (besides the fighters). but now you say its better on a 32x?

hurm... i guess i will have to get one of those eventually! maybe i can score one of the cool japanese models.

thanks for sharing and helping me make the right choices!
Indestructible
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

@ rygod - I don't think grolt's last comment was intended to answer your questions. I think he was referring to another conversation going on inside the same thread.

Jerry was very lucky to get those Saturns for $2 and $3 dollars... as far as I know, that's pretty uncommon. To get a price like that, he must have had to been one of the only bidders on them. The two Saturns I bought off of eBay both went for around $40... probably a few dollars more. Those were not Buy-It-Now prices; I was bidding on both of them, and neither of them came with any games, which probably would have driven the price higher.

http://catalog.ebay.com/Sega-Saturn-Gam ... 86.c0.m271

http://video-games.shop.ebay.com/System ... 86.c0.m282

In that list, I see that most of the Buy-It-Nows are more than I paid, but as I said, I bid on my systems to get a lower price. There are several systems on that list right now that are significantly less than $40.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Saturn-with-2- ... 19b720f679
That one you may be able to get for less than $40, but I don't know if you'll see this post before the auction finishes. It is a model 1, and with the exception of the cracked battery door, looks to be in a similar condition to my model 1 when I bought it. I am a little frightened that the seller only lists the system as "powering on"... he doesn't actually mention if the games load or not. It also comes with a model 1 controller and a third party controller... I hate the model 1 controllers (model 2 controllers are far superior, in my opinion), and I can't vouch either way for the third-party one.

The Saturns seem to be going for more right now... maybe they're just in more demand right now?

A NetLink for $20 is pretty average. I got extremely lucky and got one for $6 once (came with nothing but the NetLink and it wasn't in great shape), but I think I paid $20 and $25 for my other two (one of which was new in box, and the other of which I wanted for the accessories that came with it).

Dialup is not free. You're going to have to have analog phone service with a telephone service provider. I have not heard of a successful NetLink game played over a digital phone line in the last two to three years. The very qualities of a digital phone line make it extremely difficult to impossible for the NetLink to maintain a connection to another Netlink. I've even tried to connect to two people with digital phone lines who were completely confident it would work... no go. The way the modem's data is re-encoded and transmitted over with a digital phone line interferes with the synchronization of the NetLinks to each other. My only successful NetLink connections were with players with analog phone lines.

Accessories for the Saturn are not region-protected, although there *might* be a few foreign cartridges that would fit, but be of no use to a US system. The sticks themselves would and should be physically and electrically compatible and work in a US system. However, the Japanese games will not work on a US system without a cartridge that will allow the play of imports, such as an Action Replay 4-in-1 cartridge... unless you performed the swap trick or installed a region switch. Basically, if you can play Japanese games on your US system... you can use a Japanese controller with that US system. Even if you can't play imports on your Saturn, there's STILL a high chance of that controller working with the system, unless it's a controller designed only to work with certain games.

Hope that answers your latest questions!
JerryTerrifying

I bidded on untested Saturns. No one bids on untested stuff. I got two Sega CDs for $15 a piece shipped. They weren'ted tested, one worked out the box and the other worked perfect after I soldered in a new fuse. I also won another Saturn for $15...$30 after shipping. That one came with 9 games and a netlink. So I got 3 Saturns on ebay all for fantastic prices. I also got a Saturn, Dreamcast and Ps1 with all the cords and a controller each for $25 on craigslist. So that's another Saturn for $8.33.

The first Saturn I got on ebay for $40 shipped. And I don't regret it....but I've gotten so many other Saturns for next to nothing. It's good to keep an eye on ebay and snag some great deals. But like I said all my great deals are on untested systems that no one else bid on.

And I'm totally jealous you got a copy of Street Fighter The Movie The Game. I can't even find an ISO lol. A Saturn's definitely worth $40...especially if you're excited and can't wait.

I'm definitely going to go and pick up Virtua Racing, Space Harrier and After Burner. I picked up Doom complete on ebay for $4.99 shipped and Star Trek Starfleet Academy for $19 shipped. So the only other 32X games I'm interested in are The humming bird game, Knuckles Chatoix, Blackthorne and Tempo. Lol that's like half the entire library right? I've heard the 32X version of Blackthorne's better than the SNES version.
grolt

Post by grolt »

rygod wrote:space harrier and after burner are some of my fond childhood memories and one reason i was getting a saturn (besides the fighters). but now you say its better on a 32x?

hurm... i guess i will have to get one of those eventually! maybe i can score one of the cool japanese models.

thanks for sharing and helping me make the right choices!
Well, you can't even get After Burner on the Saturn - only After Burner II is included in the Sega Ages collection. Space Harrier is in the Sega Ages set, but it just doesn't play as well as the 32X version. It's tough to explain, but when you sit down with both the 32X version feels superior. A big part is the control, which is just too sensitive on either digital or analog control on the Saturn.

The Japanese 32X is not compatible with US games, so that limits your options. :)
That's fly.
grolt

Post by grolt »

JerryTerrifying wrote:I'm definitely going to go and pick up Virtua Racing, Space Harrier and After Burner. I picked up Doom complete on ebay for $4.99 shipped and Star Trek Starfleet Academy for $19 shipped. So the only other 32X games I'm interested in are The humming bird game, Knuckles Chatoix, Blackthorne and Tempo. Lol that's like half the entire library right? I've heard the 32X version of Blackthorne's better than the SNES version.
Heh, yeah, there really isn't much else of note on the system. The Mortal Kombat II version is solid, not quite as good as the Saturn version, but it doesn't have any load times. World Series Baseball is about the only good sports game on the system, but it's hardly an upgrade over the Genesis version and for the price it usually gets, it's not worth it. Doom is sadly a really shitty port. It doesn't even fill up the screen, the music is all wrong and some of the levels are incomplete. It was a total rush job, and as a result the SNES version is much, much better. Most of the ports to the 32X are upgrades, but that's the one big exception.

Blackthorne for 32X does have an extra world, but it's not that good. Graphics wise, it looks pretty darn close to the SNES, maybe a bit more colorful, but nothing of significant difference. Again, given the price it gets, it might be better to just pickup the SNES version.
That's fly.